What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to setup Led indicator that pmag is not grounded?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I have dual pmags with on-off switches and push button starter.

I find that I sometimes forget to switch off (ground mags). How would I go about wiring an LED for each on-off switch so that the LED would stay lit when the pmags are ungrounded (switched on) and turn off when I ground the pmags?

Both led's would have a constant current supply since I wouldn't want turning off the main power to shut down the LED's.
I realize that I'll probably have to change to a multi-pole switch. Just not sure best way to rig it.

Thanks,
TomH.

P-Mag LED indicator

You got it Tom - a simple way is to have a DPST switch for each mag, one set of poles for mag & the other for the LED circuit :)

Assuming your P-mags are wired per the Emag manual, as soon as you turn off the master, after pulling the mixture, they will not fire, even if ungrounded.

So, even if you wired in an LED, that too would go out with the Master.

Tom, had I seen this earlier, you could have joined us for pizza at Kenny's in Copper Hill this evening. US was Brett, Lynn, Brett's mother, and my family.

Bill,
I'll double check my wiring since I'm pretty sure I followed the pmag manual. If that's the situatio, then my concern is already addressed.

Really sorry that I missed you. Of course I know Brett. His hangar as in the same group as mine. I've always followed your posts as the EI commander is something I hope to install when my next round of funds come in.

All the best,
Tom H

On two RVs now I use a DPDT switch for each pMags. One side turns the pMag on and off. The other side turns on a simple Radio Shack 12vdc buzzer located on the engine side of the firewall. Power comes from whatever buss you are using for the pMag power. Ground for the buzzers come from your alternator light connection. With the engine shut down, the alternator light connection is at ground potential - so the buzzers sound. With the engine running the alternator light connection is a buss voltage, so there is no voltage across the buzzers and they are off.

This way in the cockpit are anywhere near the engine you will hear that you have a "hot mag".

Carl

Back