What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR wants ab fabrication checklist for rv-8a

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Local DAR wants me to complete the AB checklist for my standard build RV-8a.
I showed him the FAA list that showed this kit already meets the 51% rule. I had no commercial assistance and all my work is logged.
Is there anything I can show him that would validate by understanding.
Thanks,
Tom H.

Form 8050-88 has a line for the builder to attest to building more than 50%, does it not? So does 8130-12.

I smell trouble ahead with this DAR...

Last edited:
Mel can probably answer with more clarity, but basically, the evaluation is done for every amateur built aircraft evaluated for an airworthiness cert.

The question is which evaluation checklist is used depending on whether it is on the approved list, or if the kit was purchased prior to September 30, 2009. (you can find all the details in Paragraph 456 of FAA Order 8130.2H)

Your documentation is to provide proof that what you put in the form is true, but I think he can still ask you to fill out the form if he chooses.

Probably not worth arm wresting over.... filling out the form should only take a few minutes.

I agree with Scott.
The DAR can request additional information to confirm that the aircraft was at least 51% amateur-built. Being on the FAA approved list is normally enough confirmation. However, any deviation from the plans, which there almost always is, technically invalidates that approval and the inspector can request that the checklist be submitted.
The form is pretty straight forward and only takes a few minutes.

Back