What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage fairing

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Getting ready to do the fairings for the empennage. The directions talk about a tempoary foam rib you install and glass over for two of the covers. Is this something I need to make. What do I use as the foam material. Also, what should I order for supplies for now and up coming fiberglass work.

Fairing rib

I used regular Home Depot aviation department house foam siding. When the fairing is drilled and in place, I used the foam as a rib, that way when you take the fairing off to cleanup and countersink it stays the shape that you need. Otherwise the fairing will spread apart and be to wide and won't fit. Also makes a backing for making the cloth overlay. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Start with a quart kit of West 105 epoxy with the fast 205 hardener. Get the pump dispenser kit. Also, a bag of glass bubbles (micro), a bag of flocked cotton and a couple yards of light and medium cloth. That will do your empennage and give you a head start on th cabin top and doors.

Back