What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are skins necessary here?

jwilbur

Well Known Member
RV-10, section 29-13, step #6. This is where you drill the forward side skins to the longerons. Immediately after match drilling the longerons to the side skins you match drill the pre-drilled holes in the firewall gusset up from the bottom and into the longeron. This is very similar to a previous step which I messed up royally (discussed recently here).

How on earth do you do this? There's no access and you can't even see the pre-drilled holes. The skins are supposed to stay on until page 29-14, step #1 (several steps away). Maybe they're intended to help keep things aligned. I don't know. I'm just not seeing how any of the following steps can be done with these skins cleco'ed in place. What am I missing here? I'm really, really trying to avoid another 8 hour do-over.

I'm thinking drill the longerons to the skins, then clamp real tight to the gusset (as the plans say) and just remove the skins now rather than later. Comments?

Patrick Kelly did what I think I did - just used a longer bit. you can get it into the gusset hole by feel/with mirror, and bend the bit as it goes to keep the hole fairly straight. I didn't see and drill chuck rubs on the skins below (like in some other places). I also grabbed the air drill with a regular length bit and there seems to be room to drill that way too. To answer your question, though, once it's clamped I don't think loosening up the skin down below to improve access is going to move things. You can outline it with a sharpie and check before commencing to drill.

==dave==

Joe,
I am not seeing the issue with access. Which specific step are you referring.

Starting in the 2nd half of step #6, page 29-13, where you match the longeron to the gusset.

Here's a picture. The right side of the pic is the firewall. The left side is the skin. You can see the longeron resting on the gusset. The holes are pre-drilled in the gusset and you drill into the longeron from below. How can I get a drill in there? How can I even see what I'm doing if I could get a drill in there? Yes, I can get a 90 degree drill and a mirror, but that's how I messed it all up in that previous step I mentioned.

2013-12-31_17-04-52_921-400x300.jpg

Joe,
I assume you have the 6" and 12" bits, what type of air drill are you using? You should be able to get the drill in there, especially using a long bit and holding it in you hand to allow it to bend

Last edited:
Joe,
I assume you have the 6" and 12" bits

I do. But still, you can't see what you're doing and going by feel is a recipe for disaster (for me, at least) - maybe that's the best way. .... But then there's the next few steps which seem completely impossible with the skins in place.

Joe, all you need are a couple of holes cleco'd, then you can remove the pieces and finish the remaining holes. Use a mirror to see what you are doing. Maybe a helper would make it easier.

skins?

So let me get back to the skins part of the question. Does anyone know of a reason why NOT to remove the skins now (29-13, step#6)? After the longerons are matched to the skins there doesn't appear to be any reason to leave them on (assuming I clamp the longeron to the gusset real good), despite the fact that the plans don't have you remove them until 29-14, step #1. Am I missing something?

I used as Bill mentioned...a very small air drill, a sharp lubricated 12" bit, eyeballed it perpendicular to pieces, manually kept bend in drill bit and drilled away. I used masking tape anywhere a drill chuck may touch. I followed the plans and fortunately only had some scrap brake/fuel tubing in the end. There is a knack to it. Wish I was closer to help you.

Template

I'm not here yet stiLl on section 28. Do you think you could make a template on a scrap then transfer to the longeron?
Just thinking out loud.

solved

Joe, you also might try a strap duplicator and drill from the top

I thought about this and was about to order them when I realized the thickness is probably too large for the strap duplicators. They're made for skins best I can tell. I don't know for sure though. They might work in this case. It's moot now.

I got it solved and am very happy with the results. Here's what I did. I clamped the longerons to the gusset according to the plans. I match drilled the longerons to the skins according to plans. Then I skipped drilling the gusset and did steps 7 through 10. Then I marked the gussets and longerons where they were clamped together to make sure the don;t move and I removed the skins. After verifying that nothing moved, I simply drilled up from the bottom with a long bit. Trivial at that point.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

2014-01-01_17-48-58_279-400x300.jpg

2014-01-01_17-50-15_882-400x300.jpg

2014-01-01_18-01-59_390-400x300.jpg

Joe, if I remember correctly that's exactly what I did at that point in the build. As a side note: from the fuselage on I just used the instructions as a guide line and checklist. The order of things are not perfect and I often build using a different order than the plans. I read through an entire section first to understand the construction and think through all of the steps. I often rearrange the steps or add notes to be sure to complete something prior to the next step.

Best of luck,

Back