What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fabricating snorkle rv 8a

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Playing with Van's snorkel for the rv-8a with an aerosport io-375, superior cold sump and horizontal induction (fm200 which has the rounded opening-can't use the flange bolt attachment method). Read multiple posts on modifying the Vans snorkle and this modifying is what I've been working on.

One alternative I'm considering is just running SCEET tubing ( smooth inside so no air flow ripples) from the intake filter to the fm200. Diameter of sceet is about 1/4" smaller than smallest part of Van's snorkle. 3&1/4" sceet fits perfectly to the fm200 air intake.

This would make for a much, much easier install than Vans snorkle.

Am I missing something major here??

Thanks,Tom H.

I bought my RV-8 already built and it had a snorkel with Skeet. It just interfered with the lower cowl enough that the skeet had to deform to get the cowl in place. The skeet would chafe on the cowl and need annual or sooner replacement. All in all ok but not great. I installed the FAB snorkel kit last winter and it was a lot of work but no more pressure on the lower cowl and hinge pins.

Back