What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

L/R inboard rib number three

Fracrat

When match drilling rear spar fork doubler the holes don't line with the rib flange # 3 holes. Do I have to drill two new holes in the rib flange which will be very close to the existing holes. I must be misunderstanding something. This doesn't seem right. I have checked and double checked that I have the right rib and fork oriented correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rear spar fork

Gordon,

I just completed my rear spar the other day. No problems with missing holes. A pic would be helpful to make sure I understand exactly where you are looking

-Mike

I had a few that didn't line up. I believe the plans or instructions mention this somewhere, but I sent a note to Van's anyway to be safe. Here's the response:

"No problem with your parts, it is intended to transfer the holes from the rear spar and assemble without using the existing hole in the rib in this area."

Going from memory, this was on some of the inboard ribs.

Thanks stall dog. That is exactly what is happening. Yes the plans mention this but looks like the holes would be very close together on the flange of the ribs. Thought about vibration causing a crack between holes.

I tried to upload pics but need more time to set it all up.

Thanks and happy new year y'all

Vans response

This is a normal part of the construction that you will end up with two extra holes in the ribs
you mentioned. You will want to use the reinforcing doubler to match drill these ribs.

FYI

Back