What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A-slow built wings in quick build fuse????

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Hi all..
Does anyone know if you can use slow built wings in a quickbuilt fuse...
I guess the question comes down to " can I use my matched center section from my slow built wing kit in a quick built fuse or is it already to a point where you would not want to mess with it"?
Appreciate any help..
Thanks,
Jim

Works the other way around

On an 8A that is, I went with slow build fuse, quick build wings, no problems for that.

Randy

Hi Jim,
I know it is possible to have a QB fuse but you have to send back your center section to Van's. If I remeber correctly, it takes a lot of time, so plan ahead if you want to follow this route. More infos here

Slow build wings/quick built fuselage RV6A

I sent in my center section and a few months later a quick built fuselage showed up. Very pleased with the results and fine workmanship on the fuselage. Looks a little funny as the center section is zinc chromated, sitting in Van's clear wash primer. Really worth the money IMHO.

what's a "few" months? I just spoke with vans not too long ago, and they said the turnaround time is dependent on how many full QB orders they have (wings/fuse) in front of you, as well as how long it takes to fill the ship up for it to leave port back to the US

you don't *have* to use your center section, if you can source a QB fuse locally, vans approves this method on the more recent spar kits, and your current center section they will give a refund on if you've had it for less than 2yrs

I did the same approach

I did the same approach as I wanted to be working on something while I saved the cash for the QB fuselage. Vans stored the matched center section for me from the wing kit and then shipped it with the parts kit to their QB fuselage builder when I ordered the fuselage. Worked out great for me.

you would have to call Vans

But the whole "matching the center section" stuff has gone to the wayside methinks. It was my interpretation that everything just fits, like I could pull my wings off of my plane, and put them in another 8A, or 8 for that matter. There would be plenty of things that wouldn't fit right, Rear spar attach hole could be off and a few other things, but.

Randy

This is no longer an issue. We bought our SB -7 wings in November 2009 and just received the QB fuselage in Oct 2010. We returned the center-section, but they did not build the fuse around our specific center-section. Their tooling is good enough now that all wings and center-sections are interchangeable.

Back