What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XM Radio indoors?

flymustangs

Well Known Member
I don't get a bunch of flying time so I've been reluctant to get the XM radio option for my 496. If the XM would work indoors I would be more inclined. It would be an expensive XM radio, but I would get more use out of it.

Anyone know how (or if) the XM radio works indoors? Maybe with the antenna stuck to a window? I know the XM radio in my truck cuts out in underpasses and when shadowed by large buildings.

Thanks.

Indoors

I have an XM2Go unit and it came with an antenna for use indoors. You have to set it near a window. It does seem to work.

I have XM in my Tahoe and love it. I have a XM RoadyII in my house with the antenna sitting in by a window (has to be the proper side of the house) and listen through my sound system. Having the service also gives one the ability to listen online as I am doing at this very moment from my laptop!

I have a XM portable in the garage, and the antenna works just sitting next to it; which is by no window. But I wouldn't count on this method working everywhere, as I've hauled it to various construction sites, that require a window.

L.Adamson

I have an XM to go in my workshop and don't even have to put the antenna in a window, it receives quite well just facing south on the shelf.

So my 2 cents is you should be able to get reception no problem, especially if you can put it in a south facing window.

And I really enjoy the xm. Comedy, news, and any kind of music you could want any time of day and with no or at least fewer commercials.:D

The XM satellites are geosynchronous, meaning they are on the equator. So obviously this means that birds are south for most of us. My hangar door points Southeast and my 496's XM antenna is on the glare shield of my tip-up -7A. With the canopy tilted open the XM receives in my hangar fine. It makes it nice to be able to quickly check the weather in the cold without first opening the hangar.

If you are thrifty (cheap) like me all you need is a couple powered speakers, an ac adaptor for the XM unit, and an antenna to get XM radio in your shop, hangar, etc. No need for an existing sound system to plug the XM into.

All depends on how much "stuff" is between the antenna and the satellites. The XM in my wifes car will receive through our roof in the garage with the door closed, the one in my truck won't. I'm assuming a slightly different antenna design - mine was factory, hers was aftermarket, both are external mounted on the roof. I'm guessing I have more dB loss in my antenna and coax than she does, and with a relatively weak input signal that's just enough to attenuate it below the threshold cutoff value. Her antenna is also mounted in the middle of the roof portion of the car, so she has a more effective ground plane than my leading-edge roof mount location.

Everything said so far about receiving XM satellite signals indoors is correct. However, XM knows you want to use their service in your house reliably, and since they want to make you happy and get your money, they set up a whole bunch of terrestrial repeaters (i.e. broadcast towers) in large and medium-size cities. A list of locations is contained in this document:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=456929

mcb

Terrestrial antennas

You might want to double check with XM on that. My understanding was they abandoned the land-based antenna network. I know the one that used to work where I live is no longer active, can't speak for the rest of the country.

Another option is to get a signal repeater directly from XM. Allows you to use your radio in a area of your house where you don't have a direct shot at the satellites. So if your sound system is in an interior room, this should do it. I have one on order, so we will see........

The little boomboxes work fine in concrete high rise buildings but they MUST be on the windowsill in some buildings. Near the elevator shaft in the center of the building never works. In about 50% of the buildings the radio must be left on a specific side of the building, as the "other sides" do not have reception.

Skylight "low E" not good

I just mounted my "Serius" radio antenna on my skylight thinking that I would have exellent reception, but I think it is the low "E" glass that blocks the signal...I ran the antenna out the side of the workshop and it is great...I didnt have a good enough shot from my windows and had a very weak signal just sitting inside the shop.
Jim

Back