What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

w 423

aeronut67

Can anyone please help me?? Is the W 423 joint plate a pre made part or one I need to fabricate? ( joint plate between the leading edge and the tank ) If its a pre made part,I can't find it. I don't see a call out for dimensions and thickness to make it. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

You get to fabricate

Funny, I asked the same question, but am unable to find it using the search engine.

Anyway, the dimensions are given in the plans, and if you look amongst the aluminum trim strips, you'll find two likely pieces. They are the only two that fit the bill in length, as I remember. You don't need to trim, but must locate your own holes. Sorry, I don't have the plans with me or I would find the specs.

Jerald King
-8 (Fuselage shipping)

Last edited:
Ditto the above reply..sort of

I agree that the long strips supplied by Vans are the ones to use when FABRICATING the W423 joint plate. As I recall, these pieces did need some trimming to meet the specs outlined in the plans, and yes the holes do need to be drilled.

A great suggestion would be to check out Dan Checkoway's website on how to accurately get your fuel tank skin to match up to the leading edge skin. Here's where Vans' plans are somewhat lacking in this regard. Dans' website http://www.rvproject.com has all the pictures and text to show you how to accurately do this and be spot on!

BTW everybody... Happy New Year!!

BTW Bob, the fact that you changed your avatar did not go un-noticed. I know you're a New Englander, as my wife is from Fitchburg, MA. I love the Sox but am a bit torn with the Pats. I am a diehard '72 Dolphins fan and hate to see their record challenged as the Patriots have done.

Nowadays, I am looking at Todd Collins and the reborn Redskins to take us all the way! WOOO HOOOO!! Go Skins!!:D

W 423

Thanks guys. But to be clear, the part is trimmed and fitted from aluminum flat stock and i'm not looking for a part labeled w 423? More importantly, Happy New Year!!

But to be clear, the part is trimmed and fitted from aluminum flat stock and i'm not looking for a part labeled w 423?

There is part w-423 (if I recall it's only marked as material and dimensions so this "w-423" is not mentioned in the label) which is two stripes which are the size you look for.

You most likely have found "wing trim bundle" which has four stripes (with two different thicknesses) but they are longer than you look for. However I don't see why those trim bundles couldn't be used to manufacture w-423s, but they will need more trimming and then make sure you select the correct thickness.

You did inventoried your shipment so for sure it should be there, you just don't know where. ;)

Edit: From Van's parts.txt we can found AS3-032X1 1/2X36 1/2 TANK JOINT PLATE so that sounds for me exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:
AS3-032X1 1/2X36 1/2

Glenn,
I just did mine!!!! They are only labeled as the material quoted here...
Mine were to exact size and did NOT have to trim them...
I kinda preshaped them in my LE cradle and they went together fairly easy...(I did not have to rubber hammer them)
You can see the callout in quadrant 4F on drawing number 12.
There are no holes in them..you do that in assembly...good luck!!!!!
Jim 7A

From Van's parts.txt we can found AS3-032X1 1/2X36 1/2 TANK JOINT PLATE so that sounds for me exactly what you are looking for.

join plate

so, after i screwed up the pre-cut ones, i had to use the ones in the trim bundle to make them over. :)

Back