What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rough center distance for tie downs at airports?

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if there is a rough center distance that they put tie down ropes on the ground at airports...I'm trying to decide where to put my Dynon pitot with AOA and if I could get some info on this I can just do a layout to see if there would be interference with the tie down rope and the pitot in the next outboard bay (inboard rib or outboard rib..or maybe just 2 bays outboard)...FYI....Vans has suggested to me not to go inboard of the bellcrank....Ive read a lot about this on this site but I have not seen a firm conclusion...
Thanks for any help,
Jim
7A Wings

Isn't this (just inboard of the bellcrank) where Van's indicates theirs should go? It does on the -9 plans.

I installed it one bay outboard of the bell crank. I wouldn't bother moving it inboard - I've never had an issue with the tiedown ropes getting too close to my Dynon pitot in this location.

I installed it one bay outboard of the bell crank. I wouldn't bother moving it inboard - I've never had an issue with the tiedown ropes getting too close to my Dynon pitot in this location.
Kevin,
Did you put it next to the inboard rib or outboard rib in the next bay outward from the bellcrank?...It seems like it might make a big difference..the 8 or 10" difference (or whatever the distance between ribs is...I'm not in the workshop right now and just guestimating the distance)

Isn't this (just inboard of the bellcrank) where Van's indicates theirs should go? It does on the -9 plans.
I'm working on a 7 (the stock location for the 7 IS the bellcrank bay..but no room for the dynon there) and I assume because of the longer wing on the 9 that yours is different.....I'm just guessing on yours...

The answer is...

Jim-

I'm estimating here from aerial photos taken at COPPERSTATE Fly-in. At CGZ there are 2 sizes of tie downs; some for smaller planes and some for Kingairs and the such. I have a shot of a Bearhawk (33' wing span) parked on a small space and he's a little bit wider than the tie down points. I have a shot of a Long EZ (a bit over 26' wing span) and he appears to be a bit narrower than the tiedowns. So the answer to the actual question you asked (versus feedback on the rest of your post) is somewhere's around 30'. In Casa Grande, AZ anyway.

Hope this helps.

If they have the big cables on the ground?

Carry some of your own.:rolleyes:

If the place you will park has the big cables on the ground, having your own connection from the cable on the ground will always make a nice straight ground to plane fit.;)

Back