What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you hang the engine on a fuselage stand?

agent4573

Well Known Member
In the next week or so I'll be ready to hang the engine and start the firewall forward portion of the build. I would like to leave the fuselage on the cradle to do this because it keeps it level and lower than if I put it on the main gear. Anyone done this before? The cradle supports the fuselage with a 20"x40" flat section under the spar and belly, and is plenty strong enough to handle the extra weight. I'm just worried it might cause some loads to go through the skin in ways that weren't intended. Any inputs? Photo below shows the design of the stand.

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_110737.jpg
    IMG_20200810_110737.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 145
I hung my engine while the fuselage was still on its stand. I did build a support that went directly under the sump that was heavy enough to fully support the weight of the engine.

Yep.

I hung the engine on my -9A while it was still on a similar stand as yours. It was much easier to do all the FWF stuff at the lower height. Just be careful lifting the engine/fuse combination when putting it on the main gear.
One related watchout: make sure you have test fitted the nose gear leg (if you have this model) and reamed the mounting bolt hole before you bolt on the engine. No room to do it later.

I had my engine hung for a while in my stand. Put an extra sawhorse under the firewall, secured the tail end to the stand with a 2x4 crossbar, and ballasted the tail down

Next time I hang the engine it may well be on the gear. I think of rather do that han try to lidt it and install the gear with the engine hung.

Back