What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Miss fires ???

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
I have had my ELT go off on start up, when I have landed( pretty smooth one), while backing it into the hangar. Returned the ACK unit for diagnosis. All fine but they did replace the main board. ReInstalled and it went off again today while landing. Really folks I land very very well. No bumps. Has anyone else had their ELT go off like this in their 12? Stumped

Jeff ...

Curious... Do you have the static suppressor installed inline between the antenna cable and the antenna?

Also wondering if the antenna touches the rear window and possibly picking up s static charge?

Happy flying.

A friend had same thing happen with Synergy-built RV-12. Sent unit back to ACK and they said nothing wrong but still replaced board. My guess is design or manufacturing deficiency that they want to keep under wrap so Feds don't issue large AD product recall...

John
Not sure what a suppressor looks like but I will check. My build is a ELSA so if it came with the kit yes, if not no.

Jeff

ELT Mount?

If my memory is correct, just a couple (2?) of years ago Ack changed their recommendations on mounting the unit. Accidental activation was the reason. You may want to check your mounting vs. the way Ack is now recommending.

Just read ACK Service Advisory: SA E-04.1 - it mentions static suppressor is to reduce static effects that affect 121.5 transmission. Apparently the 406 transmission is unaffected.
I'll have to re-read latest mounting recommendations if this reduces spontaneous activation, I work on a 12 with this problem.

I do have the suppressor installed. This unit is installed per Vans instructions in my ELSA 12. A hand written note on my unit when it was returned to me suggested that radio antenna cables should be kept away from the remote wiring
Definitely not the case with my build. I have never had it go off in the air, only on the ground and one time while moving the plane with the tow bar. No radio on.
I am pulling the unit out and replacing it with an Airtex. This should solve my issue

Back