What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking at GRT Sport SX

pilotmansam

I am wanting to install a GRT Sport SX to my steam gauge RV-6. But after doing a lot of studying on line, I still have several question regarding features and pricing, so I am looking for a GRT guru for more input. I am planning on buying their $2600 package, but here are some questions:

AOA: Sport EX information says $250 upgrade plus the pitot so is this the same price upgrade for the Sport SX?
Touchscreen: Sport EX information says $275 upgrade, is this the same for the SX?
I seem to recall that an altitude encoder is standard. If so, does this include both gray code and serial outputs?
What option is required to be able to display ADSB traffic and weather once you interface an ADSB receiver?
A bluetooth interface is discussed. Seems to be a $40 upgrade for the EX. Same for the SX?

Per the GRT manual, the SX (and only the SX) will output altitude encoder data in either gray code or in serial (RS232) format.

What option is required to be able to display ADSB traffic and weather once you interface an ADSB receiver?
X?

See the GRT web site for supported receivers. If the interface is RS232 then nothing additional is required. If the receiver puts out USB then a powered USB hub is required.

GRT Sport SX

I have the GRT Sport HS (older version that was superceded by the SX) and I have been happy with it. In hindsight though I wish I had installed the Horizon Hx from the git go. The Hx is a little more expensive initially (mabe $700 or so) but has more serial I/O ports and has 8 analog inputs that the Sport doesn't have that can be use for analog fuel tank sensors, flap and trim position sensors etc. Also, even though the website indicates otherwise, the Hx comes standard with the Arinc 429 interface but it's a $450 upgrade for the Sport and requires installing an external module. The Hx has 2 USB input ports.

AOA: Sport EX information says $250 upgrade plus the pitot so is this the same price upgrade for the Sport SX?
- The Product Guide pricing info on GRT's web site (in the pull down under products) shows the AOA option for Sport SX as costing $250

Touchscreen: Sport EX information says $275 upgrade, is this the same for the SX?
- To my knowledge, Touch screen isn't available for the Sport SX.

I seem to recall that an altitude encoder is standard. If so, does this include both gray code and serial outputs?
- The Sport SX supports both serial and Gray-Code altitude encoder outputs

- The capability to display ADS-B is a standard feature included with the Sport SX. It supports a number of different mfg. ADS-B input receivers mostly via one of the RS-232 serial port inputs but some can use the USB port.

A bluetooth interface is discussed. Seems to be a $40 upgrade for the EX. Same for the SX?
- A Bluetooth USB dongle is required for connectivity with HXr, HX, and SX EFIS systems. Sport SX require the installation of a powered USB hub (needs to be connected to aircraft power). The Sport SX only has a single USB input port.

+1 on the last post. RS232 ports get used up fast! Remember that if a given port input is run at 9600, then that port's output must also run at 9600. Before settling for a Sport be sure you will have enough ports. However, I think the OP is correct about ARINC. It used to be included with the HX, but a few years ago the HX price was lowered but ARINC became an option.

I would encourage you to purchase Sport EX.

It is GRT's current offering. That means it has a fast processor, better memory, current display and latest features. It also means GRT has parts available for repair if needed. Some Sport SX components may no longer be available. The Sport SX has been around since roughly 2008.

Touchscreen is not available on Sport SX.

I think AOA requires adaptive AHRS.

ADSB is an option on Sport EX.

If you have 4 serial ports, one in for magnetometer, one in for EIS, one in/out for ARINC but you get a serial port as bonus, one out for encoder, perhaps one in for ADSB wx. It will work. You would even have a serial left for autopilot.

Call GRT and talk to them.

Jim Butcher
Dual Sport HS since 2005

I was ready to purchase the Sport SX when the EX was announced for Oshkosh 2016. I had already cut my panel for the SX. The EX turned out to be a much better deal. The physical size of the EX is smaller in both vertical and depth dimensions, but the screen is actually larger. I had to redo my panel overlay but it was worth it. I love the EX!

I am wanting to install a GRT Sport SX to my steam gauge RV-6.

Good choice on the Sport SX. I originally bought a Sport HS back in 2008 and just recently upgraded to the SX. It never let me down, and it a GREAT product with AWESOME support.

Yes, there is a $250 extra module needed for the Sport SX to have true AOA. As it is, however, the Sport SX has "derived AOA" for free which works pretty good!

I don't believe there is a touch option for the SX.

Yes, the Sport SX has both gray code and serial output for an encoder. Please see the wiring diagram at http://www.grtavionics.com/Sport SX-EX Install Rev G April 2017.pdf , page 44 for the pin-out.

ADS-B Traffic and Weather come in on one serial port using the GDL90 protocol. Compatible receivers include the NAVWorx and uAvionix UAT Transceivers, among others. Here's a somewhat dated document on what GRT supports for ADS-B: http://www.grtavionics.com/adsb.html

Same for the SX. However, you will need a separate USB powered hub to supply power to the Bluetooth dongle, as the Sport doesn't have enough power on it's USB port.

Also, don't worry about your serial ports getting used up. GRT has a serial port combiner/expander as part of their 2020 compliant GPS which adds 3 serial ports (GPS-2020, $495) or a stand-alone version (adds 4 serial ports) with no GPS (RM-SC-01, $295). IMHO, you should probably get the GPS-2020 and have it drive your ADS-B transceiver as a FAA compliant 2020 GPS source.

The SX does not have a touchscreen. The changes required to add a touchscreen are significant. It is far enough in it's life cycle that it doesn't make sense to add touch now.

The SX does have built in gray code altitude encoding as well as RS232. The EX only has the RS232 altitude encoding built in, but we do have an optional remote RS232 to gray code adapter if that is needed. It also has a serial port pass through. That means while it does use a serial port, it adds another one on the module itself so you won't lose a serial port by using one.

As a side note, the HX/HXr was going to have the ARINC removed and become an external add on. We ended up deciding to leave it in. The EX and SX both have it available as an external add on.

The Sport SX was released in 2010, concerns of it being long in the tooth are valid to an extent. We do actively support all of our products as long as we can. I have the grey hair to prove it from maintaining products through parts going obsolete. The SX is still a good choice for upgrade from a Sport HS because of the simplicity of upgrading. The SX isn't getting any younger. The EX is a new design having been released in 2016. Given all things equal or close to equal, I would recommend the EX. In most cases, things are not equal and are in favor of the EX.

-Marc Robertson
Project Manager
GRT Avionics

EX and SX - play nice?

Reckoner,

I now have an SX in my panel. When I go to a second display I intend to go with the EX and place it on the pilot side and move my SX to the passenger side. Will the two EFIS's play nice together? I know the magnetometers are different.

One point raised frequently above is the restriction on the number of available serial ports. Please do keep in mind that GRT offers an external serial port expansion module which takes a single RS232 port and turns it into 4 RS232 ports. It's a great bargain. Just keep in mind that one would not want to run ones highest-speed serial devices through the expansion module since it may introduce delays. Sticking with the typical 4800 and 9600 baud rates seems wise for the four ports on the expansion module. Given that 98% of the equipment you want to have talking to your EFIS will run at these lower baud rates it really isn't a meaningful restriction on installation flexibility.

Wow. That is great response from this group, and I do gratefully appreciate it. Couple of things were pointed out that I missed even after hours going over the website.
To the GRT reps in this group: Patience is apparently your virtue. When trying to market such technical products the hours spent explaining things must get tedious.

Reckoner,

I now have an SX in my panel. When I go to a second display I intend to go with the EX and place it on the pilot side and move my SX to the passenger side. Will the two EFIS's play nice together? I know the magnetometers are different.

The two units will play together nicely. There are a couple noteworthy items to address though.

Any high bandwidth data will need to go to both units as it is too much for the inter-display unit link. A couple examples are ADS-B traffic and weather.

Moving mag data over the inter-display unit link is currently not supported but it is on our to do list and will be added in a future software release. In the future the SX will be able to send the mag data to the EX to gain heading instead of GPS track. You will not need to buy a digital mag for heading in the EX.

It is also important to note that the primary EFIS, or the EX in your case, will need to have an AHRS built in. The unit slaving in the Sport does work, but it is intended to display AHRS based information to the passenger. A slaved EFIS is not intended for the pilot or autopilot to depend on. The reason is that it will add too much latency. It isn't enough to make the autopilot unstable or even close to unstable, but latency will eat up a chuck of the margins. In the case of the mag data, it will be a priority item over the inter-display unit link and it's latency is much less important for the margins.

To the GRT reps in this group: Patience is apparently your virtue. When trying to market such technical products the hours spent explaining things must get tedious.

I enjoy it. I don't get to do it as often as I would like to.

-Marc Robertson
Project Manger
GRT Avionics

The two units will play together nicely. There are a couple noteworthy items to address though.

Any high bandwidth data will need to go to both units as it is too much for the inter-display unit link. A couple examples are ADS-B traffic and weather.

Moving mag data over the inter-display unit link is currently not supported but it is on our to do list and will be added in a future software release. In the future the SX will be able to send the mag data to the EX to gain heading instead of GPS track. You will not need to buy a digital mag for heading in the EX.

It is also important to note that the primary EFIS, or the EX in your case, will need to have an AHRS built in. The unit slaving in the Sport does work, but it is intended to display AHRS based information to the passenger. A slaved EFIS is not intended for the pilot or autopilot to depend on. The reason is that it will add too much latency. It isn't enough to make the autopilot unstable or even close to unstable, but latency will eat up a chuck of the margins. In the case of the mag data, it will be a priority item over the inter-display unit link and it's latency is much less important for the margins.

I enjoy it. I don't get to do it as often as I would like to.

-Marc Robertson
Project Manger
GRT Avionics

THIS is one of the benefits of dealing with GRT - being able to get in-depth answers from the people who are hands-on in the product design. I can't say enough good things about the support I've had from Marc at GRT.

REALLY looking forward to receiving my goodies from GRT (8.4" SX, safefly/UAT, EIS 4000) that I ordered for my panel upgrade at OSH. Also am anxious to see where Greg takes the HUD programming.

These guys are awesome.

Older thread, but I will say it has helped me to make my decision to go with GRT! I have been pouring over this site to get all the info I can and Boom! Here it is. Affordable, if there is such a thing, glass for my -7A.

Thank you!

Back