What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed eye test for F-601R

1bigdog

Well Known Member
The parts index for the 9A says there is a part to be fabricated
F-601R
on drawing 17A. Can't find it. Also checked dwg 19 since it's supposed to be a firewall angle. Can anyone point me to the coordinates of this part ?

Thanks.

It just refers to the R or L versions of the 601 part. E.G. 601P x 2 or 601PR and 601PL

are theses what you are looking for?

DSC03147_zpsfw0fiyho.jpg

???

Hi Patrick,

Pardon my ignorance. I'm not following.
It's calling out a single part as material, meaning the part is to be fabricated but I can't find that part on any drawing or discussed in the manual. DWG 17A is for the longeron bend making this more confusing.

There doesn't appear to be a distinct part 601 for there to be a left and right version. Still cannot find that part.

Thanks.

don't think so ...

are theses what you are looking for?

DSC03147_zpsfw0fiyho.jpg

Hi Bret,

Going by the construction manuals parts index:

F-601R FIREWALL ANGLE 1 17A MATERIAL AA6-063X3/4X3/4 FUSE-ALL

so it can't be those parts. It should be a single part F-601R. I suspect not everyone used the parts index but I used it as a reference to make sure I didn't miss fab'ing some part. I'm doing them all at once then into alodine.

So, still confused.

Thanks.

Angle

Hi Bret,

Going by the construction manuals parts index:

F-601R FIREWALL ANGLE 1 17A MATERIAL AA6-063X3/4X3/4 FUSE-ALL

so it can't be those parts. It should be a single part F-601R. I suspect not everyone used the parts index but I used it as a reference to make sure I didn't miss fab'ing some part. I'm doing them all at once then into alodine.

So, still confused.

Thanks.

They should be shown on the firewall plan. Looks like a right and left fabricated from .063"x3/4"x3/4". I would bet they are the two diagonal angles on the firewall.

Still don't think so

They should be shown on the firewall plan. Looks like a right and left fabricated from .063"x3/4"x3/4". I would bet they are the two diagonal angles on the firewall.

Hi Larry

You are thinking of the 601D left and right. Those are manufactured. Still no joy.
I've sent a message to VANs but looks like they are out until Tuesday.

Thanks.

Angle

Hi Larry

You are thinking of the 601D left and right. Those are manufactured. Still no joy.
I've sent a message to VANs but looks like they are out until Tuesday.

Thanks.

Yep. I'm looking at the CD. It's on the 7 as well. One part. Plan 19. I can't find it either. Doh!:eek:
Funny, a search on VAF turns up no results either so you've discovered a new one.

Last edited:
I just searched the PDF version of the 9/9A plans and found no reference to "601R" except for the parts list. I'm wondering if it used to be a part and the design was modified but the parts list wasn't corrected.

F-601R Mystery Part

Could it be a clip for one of the stiffeners on RV-6 that is now replaced with the joggle.

I only have RV-7 drawings, maybe a RV-6 builder can check.

On review, I think you are correct Michael, and other advise is probably accurate. Be interesting to her Vans reply. I only referred to the Index if I lost something. Cheers

I couldn't find it. I have no mention of it in my builder's journal. I guess I'm flying around without it just fine?

safe to fly

I couldn't find it. I have no mention of it in my builder's journal. I guess I'm flying around without it just fine?

So, apparently VANs support cannot find it either. They think it may be a carry over from a previous generation. They said move on.

And you are safe to keep flying without it.

Cheers.

Michael B.

Back