What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Documenting Build

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
Im getting started on my EMP kit. I see several builders use different resources for building Kit Log, Word Press, Blogspot, etc.

Questions

Does this serve as your primary documentation or the build or do you also have separate documentation for the build?

Any recommendations on what to use for tracking the build progress?

Im getting started on my EMP kit. I see several builders use different resources for building Kit Log, Word Press, Blogspot, etc.

Questions

Does this serve as your primary documentation or the build or do you also have separate documentation for the build?

Any recommendations on what to use for tracking the build progress?

Yes. I used KitlogPro but there are other off the shelf programs plus you can roll your own with web and non-web based products. Basically whatever you have that can marry text and pics to produce a record of the build. Try to get some pics with yourself in the frame.

My primary record is my blog right here on VAF, in the "My RV Build Project " section.

I'd say it's free except that I pay my dues to DR because the entire site is so helpful. But I can say that the marginal cost for the blog is zero.

Dave

Kitlogpro

I used Kitlogpro as my only build log, and included pictures with nearly every entry. I had my AW Inspection last week and was able to present a nice 270 page book printed using the Kitlogpro program. It costs a few bucks but is easy to use and effective.

If you're asking about what is legally required, most inspectors just want evidence that you (or some combination of amateurs) actually built 51% of the plane. Hand written notes, photo album, DVD loaded with pics, web site, etc etc; you pick it, or combination of its. I started with time notes in the margin of my build manual, and started taking photos with a digital camera. Once I got past detailed steps in the manual, my log became basically photos, with minimal notes; only dated photos.

Just like any important record, it makes sense to keep more than one copy, in more than one location, so that you're not forced to recreate something after the fact that might look a bit 'contrived' to a suspicious inspector.

Charlie

I primarily used a paper-based 'logbook' as to what I did each day, but towards the end of the build found I wasn't filling it in as much anymore as I wasn't doing specific tasks, rather tweaking a few little things each time.

One thing I wish I had done is to take more photos during the build. I probably have less than 50 photos, total, of my build.

While I do have a blog, I have a ledger book that I write the date and time spent each session along with the page and steps completed. I also sign and date each page once completed. Probably overkill...

I started my documentation with a software package. After8-12 months, I changed computers and long story short, some information was lost. Knowing that I may build for several years, with a few tech changes and new computers, I decided to go with paper. I mainly took pictures and had them printed. I then wrote the date on the pictures and put them in a good ol' fashion album. Worked fine for the DAR. All hardcopy.

On my first couple of builds, I kept a spreadsheet where I recorded the date, amount of time spent, and a comment on what I did for each work session. And I took pictures - the JPEG file saves the date.

After realizing that I post a lot of what I do in the aviation world, or write about it in the magazine, I foudn I had plenty of other "proof" that I built the dang thing, so now I just rely on pictures, and dating the page of the instructions or drawing when I complete the page (or drawing). I no longer care how much time I spend, and the more you post here about what you do, the better record you have....and it helps others!

Yes, I kept a notebook of daily work, but the DAR hardly looked at it once I told him I had lots of photos of work in progress, some with me in them. I took a Mac out to the hangar, and had it up and running and just pointed the DAR to the photo album. That was sufficient for him. YMMV.

As Paul said. I just wrote the date of step completed in installation manual.
Probably 10 of the many pictures had me in it holding a rivet gun or Cleco pliers in front of the part I was working on.

Just had DAR inspection last week. Literally no squawks.
DAR never looked at logbook or photos. After about 10 questions as to why I did something a particular way, he knew I built the airplane.

New to me (second build), was that I was required to fill out a 7 page form that documented I built 51% or more of the plane. That was the only thing he really checked for the self-built requirement of the inspection.

Tom H

Blogger

I'm on the exessive side.
Daily notes go on loose leaf. Date, time in, time out, notes of work done and how.
Photo a day of noteworthy. Important stuff may have several.
Once a week or two...
Receipts scanned.
Hand written notes are transcribed to my spreadsheet. Photos saved to the pc drive.
Time, notes and photos are then copied and posted to Google Blogger
Everything is backed up to a home network storage and an offsite storage.
When it's time to create a binder, I just print the Blogger pages to a pdf file and take the drive to a copy store.
I know the DAR probably doesn't need that level of detail but I may someday.

I went with hand-written entries in a composition book plus a photo album, in addition to a "my build project" thread here on VAF. My DAR was convinced I built the plane after a quick scan of both, but the guy who really went through the documentation item by item was the FSDO rep granting me the repairman certificate.

At the end of each session, I type an entry into a Microsoft Word doc. I include the date and what I worked on. If anything unusual happened, or I need to remake a part, I note it in the entry. I take pictures when I feel there's something interesting to see. These are usually taken during the assembly phase, not when I'm deburring edges and holes. I don't keep track of time?that would make building seem too much like work! :D

I found that the best build log for me was, surprise, the construction manual from Van's. I figured I could either write down what I did on my own, or just use the set of instructions already provided. Writing it down would basically be replicating the instructions that already existed.

As I started each major subassembly, I just copied the pages from the manual (you can print them from DVD now), put them in a 3-ring Builder's Log binder, and as each item was completed, write the date next to it. If I skipped something for some reason, to come back to later, I highlighted it. Non-applicable items (e.g., for quickbuilds) got lined-through. When I was done, I had a complete builder's log of all the items in the manual.

Granted, some stuff wasn't in there (a few specialized or customized items), but those were backed-up by receipts and installation instructions (e.g., exhaust pipes from Vetterman, etc.). I also took a lot pictures and put them on my computer, which was in the hangar for the DAR to look through.

As the end neared, I kept an active "punch list" of items to complete in a spreadsheet, updating it each day, deleting completed tasks and adding any new ones, until one day...there was nothing left to do :)

Prior to the inspection, I copied all of the preview plans' drawing sheets, and went through them one by one, each drawing and detail, and checked off that they had been completed, installed, etc., to ensure that nothing was missed, with a big check mark next to each and every item. That was more for me and my peace of mind than the DAR, however.

Whatever you use, just keep it complete...as you get further along, its easy to start skipping the end-of-the-day task of keeping notes and taking photos. You'll need the complete set of data to take to FSDO to get your Repairman's Certificate (the guy there was very pleasant, but he actually wanted to see much more detail than the DAR did; in the end, it was no problem to get the certificate).

Good luck, and build on!

I have a camera that automatically takes a photo of my work area every 60 seconds. I then put these together as a 15 frame per second time lapse video. This should translate into about a one and a half hour video when I'm all done building.

I kept a blog, then printed it out and put it in a big binder. (Lots of ink and paper!) Niether DAR that did the airworthiness inspection nor my FSDO guy who issued my repairmen certificate looked at it once! Maybe they saw it laying there and they took note of it. I get the feeling after talking to you for a few minutes, they can tell if you built the plane or not. I would not chance having nothing though as every FAA rep is probably different.

As I posted earlier, I used KitLog and I opted to have my laptop on with my log pulled up at the hangar vs. a printed hardcopy when the FSDO did my AWC inspection and I had the laptop with me when I did my Repairman interview (same FSDO different Inspector). Like others have experienced neither inspector even looked at it. Although the AWC inspector did ask if I had a log when we started and I pointed to the screen and he immediately moved on to the other paperwork requirements. Instead they preferred to rely on in-depth questions that determined to their satisfaction that I was indeed the builder and possessed the requisite knowledge.

I guess the lesson here is it might be worthwhile to contact your DAR or FSDO ahead of time and see if they want a hardcopy before you go killing trees.

As has been said, the inspector can tell if you built the aircraft after talking with you for just a few minutes. Sometimes I look at the builder's log, sometimes not.
As far as legal requirements, there is no hard rule on how detailed the log must be. Just a reasonable showing of a chronological order of the build.

I also write the applicant a letter of recommendation for the repairman certificate. Usually the FSDO inspector will accept this as proof of 51%.
BUT, you must always be prepared, and take your log, when you go to apply for the repairman certificate.

I use KitlogPro for my build log. When I first contacted a DAR to start a dialogue and build a relationship I told him that I was documenting my build online. I asked him if he would need to perform any intermediate inspections and he looked at my build online and stated that the final inspection would be sufficient.

It is also a good tool for personal friends of mine to poke me every now and then to keep me working on the project. Also, I have been trolling Kitlog for years getting comfortable with the idea of building and it is a way to give back to others.

About monthly I make a pdf copy of my Kitlog work and store it in a redundant remote location.

i just went on what my and p teacher said to do ... note book and lots of pictures. i also want to enter a second "off site " log as to be safe just in case. and i WONT be using kitlog. a picture is worth a thousand words:)

Back