What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting issue

redhawk

Well Known Member
Happy New Year out there!
I’m having a start problem on my RV3B: While cranking the engine the blades makes a rotation or two, then the Sky-Tec starter either disengages, or the starter spline is somehow spinning on its shaft. (broken roll pin?) The prop stops and there’s the whirring or spinning noise of the starter when it disengages.
I installed a new Odessey Extreme battery, new solenoid, cleaned all contacts, but none of this stopped the problem.
Has anyone had this issue? I’m guessing I may need to send my starter in for a overhaul, even though it only has about 250 hrs on it…
Cheers

Which version? I believe some use a solenoid to engage the pinion and others use a bendix drive (rotational inertia moves the pinion-typically only the motor rotation moves it, but it can stick or not stay engaged or not engage at all). Sounds like an issue with the pinion engagement mechanism, but need to know which version you have

With a broken shear pin (think that only the bendix drive versions have one), it shouldn't engage at all and pinion will not spin. As long as the prop moves, I don't believe it can be a shear pin issue, assuming you can repeat the symptoms described.

Last edited:
Stater disengaging

I’m pretty sure your right about a shear pin being broken, unless it catches during start enough to rotate the prop..
It’s a simple starter pinion gear that’s activated by the solenoid (not bendix - it’s a Sky-Tec starter)

I’m pretty sure your right about a shear pin being broken, unless it catches during start enough to rotate the prop..
It’s a simple starter pinion gear that’s activated by the solenoid (not bendix - it’s a Sky-Tec starter)

I have a sky tech NL and it has a bendix drive. They have different versions. The bendix drive, while named after the original manufacturer, is now a generic name for that style of engagement. Same as a xerox machine not being made by xerox. I guess I date myself with that as today we call them copiers.

IF YOU HAVE the LS version (obvious small cyl on top of large cyl shape), Did you replace the solenoid on the starter? That is what moves the pinion on that model, I believe. You can also disassemble it and look for flaws or clean the moving parts. I don't believe the LS version has a shear pin, but the NL does. If you have the NL, you will need to pull the pinion off to examine and clean the guts of the bendix drive, as problems in there are the most likely culprit for your symptoms, as reported, assuming you have checked for missing teeth, which can also give those symptoms. The pinion teeth are hardened but the flywheel teeth are not, so it is those that usually break.

Last edited:
Back