What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Igniton

Just read the entire G3i website, and the other thread in the 'General Discussion' forum...you have my attention! I'll be in the ignition decision phase very soon. Be talkin' to you at Oshkosh in a few weeks...

:cool:

Wondering why add the weight penalty? Why not just dispense with the mags altogether and just wire up a MDS ignition?

It appears that Electroair is simply a modified Electromotive ignition, so why not modify an MSD?

Hi Wade,
I agree, it’s always great to get rid of the extra weight; I can only speak for myself, (back up). If I ever had to call upon the magneto for back up, it is sure well worth its weight in gold many times the extra weight I’ve been caring around for the last few years. My-self I just like having that mag / mags, as a back up. This is just a real nice simple, cut & dry system that provides excellent all round ignition system with a great backup. I heard of to many other of ignition failure scenarios with no real good back up. MSD does have DIS set ups that could be modified for the aircraft ignition aftermarket consumer. The extra gains (in some cases not measurable) in ignition performance are not worth the possible aggravation to most people. I have done a lot of custom set-ups and designs though with different ECU’s. They are always exciting and welcome to take on with that special application.
I have worked and have spoke with the Electromotive ECM people. Like you said, They make/ “ElectroAir” The nice thing with the Electromotive XDI-2 ECU is that you can program it with a laptop and change ignition curves on the fly or by up-loading different files. This ECU can fire the MSD 6a by via 60t – 2t crankshaft trigger.wheel. The TEC3r is there total engine management. I do like their systems.

Thanks,
Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

Last edited:
I did some testing of the MSD system a few years back, and what I found was that it put out several sparks in a row at low rpm, and as rpm went up, the number of sparks in a row decreased until at somewhere between 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm it went to a single spark. The person who was marketing an ignition using the MSD box at the time, when I first told him about it, told me I was all wet until I showed it to him on a 'scope! The LSE Plasma I and III, on the other hand, actually do put out 4 to 6 sparks in a row at all rpm.

Paul, that's interesting to mention as I was just reading MSD's docs the other day.. they say :

MULTIPLE SPARKS
The MSD 6 Series produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number
of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, however the spark series always
lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation. Above 3,000 rpm there is simply not enough "time" to fire
the spark plug more than once, so there is only one powerful spark.

So, how does LSE do it? Time warp? (just kiddin')

Paul, that's interesting to mention as I was just reading MSD's docs the other day.. they say :

MULTIPLE SPARKS
The MSD 6 Series produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number
of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, however the spark series always
lasts for 20? of crankshaft rotation. Above 3,000 rpm there is simply not enough "time" to fire
the spark plug more than once, so there is only one powerful spark.

So, how does LSE do it? Time warp? (just kiddin')

Without giving away the store, it's done by a rapid alternation from negative to positve arcs and back and forth several times. This back and forth of the arc makes the ionized gas extremely hot, therefore the "Plasma" name, which is rightly earned, a plasma being an extremely hot gas! If you were to view the spark, instead of the typical blue discharge, what you would see is a pale violet, almost transparent arc, that immediately sets fire to a piece of paper inserted into the gap. But don't do as one individual did in testing it; he didn't realize that the paper he was inserting was silvered on the back! He thought he had been tazed!

Back