What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Engine Start for N826RC!!!

robjohnson

Well Known Member
Well, today was another one of those huge milestone days. Took a little time off of work to wrap up some loose ends and to double (ok, who's kidding -- triple) check all of the fuel, vent, and oil lines. I called some local RV guys and said the big event would take place at 6:30 PM CST. Chad Jensen came right on time and served as a critical extra set of eyes to ensure everything was secured and isolated from vibration.

Time to pull the plane out of the hangar and call for the fuel truck. I requested 4 gallons (2 per side) for the first run.

MILESTONE #1: Fuel tanks don't leak. Totally sweet.

I tied down the tail to the tow hitch of our SUV, and hopped in the plane. I hit the switch to test the fuel pump -- ran fine but no pressure building up.

TIP #1: Fuel pumps work A LOT better when the fuel valve is in the on position. I had a checklist in the AFS, but in my excitement, I forgot to pull it up.

Ok, so I got the pump working properly with PLENTY of pressure built up. Time to start this thing. Clear prop, mixture full rich, prop full forward, throttle cracked open, mag/electronic ignition on, hit the starter......

Low and behold, the thing started on the THIRD blade! Bart @ Aerosport, you are AWESOME!. First seconds, it ran a bit rough and died with a BIG backfire (with comment in the video from my wife :) ). Hit the starter again and it fired right back up and settled into a smooth idle.

I let it warm up a bit and then jumped up to 1700 rpms. All engine sensors worked perfectly (another set of MAJOR kudos to Rob Hickman @ AFS). A bit of a run up here and then it was time to jump up to 1800 and cycle the prop. Took a time or two to get the oil flowing, but it eventually cycled just fine. SWEET.

I took it back to idle, but realized I forgot to do a ignition check while it was at 1700 rpm. Raised the RPMs back up and I only got about 40 rpm drop when I turned off my mag, and about 100 rpms dropped when I turned off the electronic ignition (more kudos to Lightspeed Engineering).

Back to idle for shutdown -- smooth idle and an non-event shutdown with the purge valve (more kudos to Airflow Performance).

What a day! Extra special thanks to my wife, Christine, for shooting video of the event. Also, thanks a million to local RV builders Chad Jensen and Terry Wendling. These guys manned the fire extinguishers and checked for leaks. You guys ROCK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVDUsh0txY

CONGRATULATIONS

Good to hear that it runs. What ever you do check it then not later. This way you are never surprised.

Rob

Please add "flaps up" to your pre-start checklist. Many RVs have ended up on their nose caused by running up with the flaps down.

Last edited:
Congrats, Rob! It always amazes me how much the engine torques on its mount when it starts/shuts down.

Good going!

b,
d

Way to go buddy!! That was a special moment indeed. It gave me a big boost of motivation man!! I was honored to be a part of this milestone with ya!!!

:cool::cool:

Thanks for the congrats, guys! It is much appreciated! Chad, thanks again a million times -- glad you were there on the other end of the radio!

Back