What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many hours before starting?

I'm a 40 year-old student pilot (about halfway done) and have pondered the question of whether it would be better to build or continue to rent.

Considering the RV series to be the most cost-effective and best looking kits on the market (IMHO), I am strongly leaning towards building.

If I decide to build I will, like most others who started their projects, take it slow. I have absolutely zero experience with sheet metal working and want to do this as correctly as I can.

Now, here's the question. Should one have a certain amount of flying experience before building their own aircraft? I can't tell you how I love to be in the air. It's freakin' awesome! Took a small x-country this weekend and wished that I could go back in time and made this my career!

I believe I have the passion to build. Just wanted to know if this is something that I should pursue immediately after obtaining my certificate or should I wait until I have a couple hundred hours in the books?

Thanks,

Mike

I say start building NOW if finances and time will allow. There is no reason to wait otherwise.

Have a couple hundred hours before you build your panel or decide whether you want to go fixed pitch or constant speed. You don't really know what you want in those regards until you have a little flying under your belt. These are two parts of the build that are particularly expensive, so you don't want to waste your money.

That said, there's no reason not to start building now. Nosewheel/tailwheel will be your first big decision, but that's a ways off down the building road. (There too, experience flying one or both will really help you make an informed decision.)

Good luck.

Have a couple hundred hours before you build your panel or decide whether you want to go fixed pitch or constant speed.

I'm not sure I agree that a couple of hundred hours is necessary. I have about 130 hours, and at my current rate (flying rentals once a month) it would take me years to get to 200. I plan on breaking 200 hours in my RV! I do feel now that I have enough to make informed choices about my panel and prop.

I did this very thing. I built my RV7A then got my PPL. I would recommend you finish your PPL then build. This is just a question of time managment. I do not feel you can work, build and learn to fly at the same time. Finish up your PPL then build.

Thanks for the quick reponses.

I'm definitely going to wait until after I get my certificate before purchasing an empennage kit.

The answer to the questions you pose is rather dependent on if my wife intends to fly with me. Right now, she says no. I solo'd in a PA-28 161 (Warrior II) a couple of weeknds ago and her comment to me is that the plane looked like a toy. Can't imagine what she'd think of an RV! I hope to meet a RV'er down the road and have my wife take a look, perhaps even get her to sit in one! I think that will either make or break her decision.

If she decides to fly with me, then I'd like to build something that would accomodate two side-by-side and some baggage, like a 9A or even a 10 (if the kids would go). If she's dead-set against flying with me, then I'd like to build an 8/8A as limited aerobatics is something I've always wanted to do.

Lot's of decisions....

I'm definitely going to wait until after I get my certificate before purchasing an empennage kit.

I don't see any convincing reason to wait. Go ahead and get the emp kit now and see how things work for you. Building is going to take a lot longer than getting your PP cert, so you may as well start the process now.

If she decides to fly with me, then I'd like to build something that would accomodate two side-by-side and some baggage, like a 9A or even a 10 (if the kids would go). If she's dead-set against flying with me, then I'd like to build an 8/8A as limited aerobatics is something I've always wanted to do.

The 7 has both side-by-side seating AND limited aerobatics! Hopefully you can change your wife's first impression of light aircraft.

David

Builders class

I have absolutely zero experience with sheet metal working and want to do this as correctly as I can.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest that you take some kind of a builders class to introduce you to some of the basic skills that you'll need. I'm sure that some folks will recommend somebody (hopefully in your area).

Take care,

Lot's of decisions....

Build the plane YOU would like to fly. If you are like most pilots, you'll be solo 99% of the time. When the kids and familiy want to ride along, rent.

My $.02

PS: I vote for starting your build now. You'll know what you want by the time you get to the expensive bits.

Builders class

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest that you take some kind of a builders class to introduce you to some of the basic skills that you'll need. I'm sure that some folks will recommend somebody (hopefully in your area).

Take care,

I'd suggest Grove-Air in Danville Indiana. They have weekend builders classes, tail kit classes, and can help with any aspect of your build.
http://www.grov-air.com/

David:

Thanks for the excellent link. Price is outstanding and would be exactly what I need to gain some confidence. I'll look to take the class this fall as I finish up with my PP certificate. And, it's only 2-1/2 hours away!

Mike

Head north on US 51

Mike,

You should take a run up to Bloomington/Normal sometime -- we have a local EAA chapter with several RV projects underway. Projects include several -7's (tipup and sliders, and even a really sweet auto conversion up a bit farther north), a -7A or two, and i think a -9A are all underway. If you have questions on anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Rob

.......whether it would be better to build or continue to rent.......I have absolutely zero experience with sheet metal...... Should one have a certain amount of flying experience before building their own aircraft?......... I believe I have the passion to build.........Mike
Mike,

Several of your comments jumped out at me so I condensed a few to emphasize a point. Flying and building are two completely different pursuits and cannot be directly compared. As expensive and hard as it is to win your PPL, building an airplane is a daunting challenge no matter how much others would purport otherwise. Building will present far greater challenges in both time and expense spanning a much longer period of time so comparisons with winning the PPL are futile and pointless. After you get your ticket, will you be able to afford flying AND building at the same time? Buying and assembling the relatively inexpensive empennage kit will give you a minor taste of what you can expect from the building experience and I don't see how postponing that decision will make much difference over the long term. Passion to build can be ephemeral as so many unfinished or aborted airplane projects so clearly attest to. In the end the old maxim sums it up best..."Know Thyself."

Back