What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks rectangular light size

robjohnson

Well Known Member
After about 48 hours of flight time, my taxi light bulb blew (I have wig wags and run them constantly). Well, in my infinite wisdom and attempt to replace the bulb, I ruined the reflector/bulb socket. I didn't know until after the face that there is a screw on the back side that needs to be loosened to release the bulb.

Does anyone know the brand or size of the rectangular lights used in the Duckworks kits? I did some rough measuring yesterday of the reflector, but I didn't write it down (I was honked off because I ruined the stupid thing). I'd like to swing by an auto parts place on the way to the hangar today, but I don't want to get the wrong size.

Any ideas on the size??

Rob

WalMart Aviation Supply

Go to WalMart. Look for the rectangular quartz light like you would mount to a truck bumper. $10 or $15 for a pair as I recall.

Randy Hooper

I still have the case that came with the Duckwork
lights.
It is approx. 5-1/2"W x 2-3/4"H x 2" D

No numbers on the case.

The lens has HALOGEN on one end
and SAE-Y-86 on the other end,
molded into the lens.

Tom

Thanks for all of the suggestions and replys, and thanks, Tom, for the exact dimensions of the duckworks light. Absolutely perfect!!!

Duckworks Reflector

I just installed a Duckworks halogin landing light which came in an orphan wing kit originally delivered in 2002. That kit had a Hella brand running light which was disassembled to obtain the reflector. No model or other info was there.

Dick DeCramer
Northfield, MN
RV6 N500DD 300 hrs.
RV8 wings complete

Got a reply from Duckworks

Man, do I feel like an idiot. In parallel to this thread, I sent a note to Duckworks explaining my problem and asking if I could purchase a single light to replace my broken one. Thankfully, they were able to identify that I didn't actually break my light -- I just ruined my bulb (it was already broken). It seems that the replacement light comes with a new socket and wire, as well. The wire I was seeing broken through the socket is the one that comes installed with the H3 bulb assembly. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! The good news is that a $4.99 bulb fixed the problem!

Back