What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 kit

Hello all
Just looking for some advise I am toying with the idea to build a rv12 but do not have any engineering background. Am I pushing my luck and kidding myself or is it really not that difficult. There certainly seem many parts to deal with but some of the video,s on you tube seem excellent. There also seems many tools and machines to purchase.
Any sound advise would be welcome
KH

An engineering background is not required to build an airplane. In fact, it might even be a detriment. :D Engineers tend to make changes.
The main prerequisites are money, perseverance, mechanical aptitude, and time.

An engineering background is not required to build an airplane. In fact, it might even be a detriment. :D Engineers tend to make changes.
The main prerequisites are money, perseverance, mechanical aptitude, and time.

Ditto on what Joe has said....if you can read instructions, have some mechanical aptitude and are willing to invest a large block of time. You too, can have an RV grin.

It is truly a rewarding feeling to take your first Flight in the plane you built with your own hands.....and Van's RV-12 is a beautiful airplane!

What Joe said. It's not particularly difficult to build but it does take dedication. I built an RV-10 which is larger and more complex than an RV-12 with almost zero prior mechanical experience outside of changing the oil in my car. The best advice I can give is you need to try and hook up with a UK RV builder (doesn't matter which model) and get a first-hand look at what is involved.

Oh and welcome to VAF!

Point of Order.

In my USAF deployments and squadron exchanges with the RAF, I noted that the RAF called their aircraft mechanics "engineers". Kevin, I suspect that by the UK definition of "engineering background", you're possibly referring to what we Americans call an "aircraft maintenance background."

If that's the case, then shoot no, you definitely do not require an aircraft maintenance background. That's the point of experimental/amateur-built aircraft. We build and fly these for education and recreation which, in turn, provides us the aircraft maintenance background we wouldn't have otherwise. Build to fly, and build to learn....you definitely will learn.

Regarding your question about tools: Yes, you need them, but you'll learn their use very quickly. The right tools for the job, eh? I urge you not to try and piece your tool kit together. You can watch the VAF for folks selling their kits (post build, usually), or order a new complete kit from any of the tool suppliers listed on the VAF advertiser index.

Kevin, the very hardest part of building any airplane is just pulling the trigger. Once you get started, if you were meant to build, you will FEED off this experience. :cool: DO IT!

tools?

Maybe some RV-12 builders can chime in here as to what tools someone would need to buy. Certainly fewer than the other RV kits. I would bet a pneumatic pop rivet puller is about the only tool you wouldn't have already if you have a home workshop.

My opinion

I am a pretty 'handy' person with a background of building houses, rebuilding cars, etc. - but, I find that building my kit is entirely 'different'

If you are building an RV-12, you need to try and get someone who has built an airplane (hopefully and RV), to help you. This is critical in the beginning as, if you are like me, the materials, tools, methods are all new. A mentor will help you purchase tools, help you with construction, and make sure that you 'progress'..

Even with a mentor, I have found Van's RV-12 plans sometimes confusing and I spent a lot of time studying the plans. If you have questions, you may ask you mentor, call or e-mail Van's technical support, or ask here on the VAF.

You don't need a lot of tools - some are absolutely mandatory and some are nice to have. Don't purchase cheap tools!

In order to build a 12 easily, you have to be able to follow directions exactly as they are written. Not doing so may cost you the pain of delays in construction and the cost of purchasing new kit parts from Van's.

My mentor says that the RV-12 plans are 'great' in comparison to the other plans - RV-8 for instance. My next build will likely an RV-9 and I will like the freedom of choice offered by those plans.

Did I say "get a mentor" to help you - at least at the start of the build? That will make a big difference, in my opinion. Best of luck and skill to you - you can do it!

I've been really impressed with just how comprehensive the RV12 plans have been.

As far as tools go, here's a link to the list Cleaveland Tools provides for the RV12 tool kit they sell: http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Kit-of-Required-Tools-for-the-RV-12/productinfo/RV12KITW/#.WJ0vlhiZPR0 That should help you determine how many of those tools you already have.

For a mentor, right at the start, I used the videos by Homebuilt Help: http://homebuilthelp.com They may be getting a little dated by now, but they do help a person to understand the building philosophy.

Jim

Kevin,

You can order a toolbox kit from Vans as a practice project. It will require some tools. This would be a good project to test your aptitude. Once you are done you will have a completed tool box.

Skills can be learned and there are many people around willing to answer questions. You may even find someone close and make a new friend. You can also take some classes if they are offered in your area.

The RV12 is an easy kit to build. Read the complete section you are going to work on first. This gives you an overview of the upcoming tasks. Then concentrate on learning the part of the plane you are trying to complete. Then complete the part. Ask questions if it doesn't fit. Building is best done using a consistent pace and doing something each day. Before you know it, you will have a completed plane.

Good luck and have fun!

Like Jim, I?m also really impressed with the RV-12 plans. I think they?re easier to follow than the plans and instructions for my 9A, but those were pretty good, too. What?s nicer about the RV-12 is having the appropriate drawings right next to step-by-step instructions for the sub-assembly you?re working on.

Rick is right about reading ahead. I?ve been able to answer many of my own questions by seeing what's coming up in the future. It helps you get a feel for why you are doing things a certain way. It isn't always obvious, but by looking ahead, you can usually get a feel for the big picture.

We build RV-12s with groups of teenagers all the time. It's approachable by almost anyone. It's a great kit, very well documented step-by-step, and pretty much anyone with perseverance and desire (and the budget) can do it. Read plans sections 1-5, and then read them again. Understand these, and then start the kit.

The recommendation to build the Vans toolbox before you start is a good one. With the teens we have a special fundamentals practice kit that we have them build even prior to the toolbox, covers the basics. It's similar to what you'd build at a EAA workshop at airventure. Once they are done with those two small projects, they're "safe" to start in on airplane parts.

If there's someone around you who's built before and has the tools, order a toolbox kit and ask them to teach/mentor you through it. It's a lot of fun. And they'll probably say "yes" when you ask. :)

I will second the last post (prior to yours.) I have supervised about 75 high school students building RV-12s; working on the fourth such project. Some observations that would probably carry over to your project: The kids don't understnad what they can "get by with." By that I mean, they don't really understand that something short of perfection is usually acceptable. Therefore, they try very hard to do a perfect job. Due to lack of experience that really isn't possible, and I doubt I could, even after having a few planes under my belt. But it all balances out! Within a couple of months, many of these students are doing beautiful work.

The key is having someone early on inspect what you are doing, and making recommendations. I just inspected an RV-12 tail, being done by someone like yourself. He had started with an oversize insert in his rivet puller, making the rivets rather ugly on top. Not good, but not fatal. Apart from that, it was good work.

Follow the plans to the letter, don't get in a hurry, and work on it every day. Ask someone if you are confused (here is a good place for most questions.) Do these things and your chances of success are very high!

B

Go for it

Hello all
Just looking for some advise I am toying with the idea to build a rv12 but do not have any engineering background. Am I pushing my luck and kidding myself or is it really not that difficult. There certainly seem many parts to deal with but some of the video,s on you tube seem excellent. There also seems many tools and machines to purchase.
Any sound advise would be welcome
KH

I understand the hesitance, but there is plenty of support from the forum you have alread reached out to, local builders in you area, also the local EAA chapters. Building has been the one of the most satisfying endevers I have done. A a builder and pilot of an RV you are a member of a great club. Lots of support and many friends all over the country willing to answer questions, not to mention the outstanding support from the Van's team.

Regarding your question on tools, you can post an ad for want to buy "WTB" on the forum and you can find some good deals. I purchase a complete kit from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool.

Below is a link for a short build YouTube I did for a talk.

build video.png

https://youtu.be/iAJfANiu4Fk

Pull the trigger, order, and happy building!

Time

Joe said it all. However I'd like to add one: continuïty in your time-in-shop.
You defenitely have to make a contract with yourself. And with your loved ones, and with anyone you know. One, two or even three evenings/days you will be in your shop. Working, dusting,thinking, be happy, be frustrated, be THERE.
On vast days. Only reason you should not be is serious illness.
Visitors are welcome - but on appointment only, and NOT ON THOSE DAYS.
Visitors ask for care, and care takes time. You want quality care for the one that bothers to look for your project, so plan it on a day that you can give all care needed.
In the building part you will undoubtedly suffer for some frustrated moments. Afterwards you will laugh at them, but in the valley all hills seem untamable. There are many, many 'projects' for sale in this world: kits that for many reasons never get the state of a flying plane. Don't let it happen to you! One way to handle that risk is continuity in time.
Even if things don't go the way you want, even when your out of ideas for that particular problem, even when it is cold in winter and your heater doesn't work - be there. Be part of the project. Become it work for you!

And my last tip: don't build an airplane.
Do not be too eager to get things done. This project will certainly take a few years of your life (and that of your loved ones), enjoy! Just build one project by the time. Prepare the project, prepare the things you need, prepare the shop and get that single project done. And yes, one day it will become part of an airplane- or maybe not. But in the meantime it gave you the satisfaction that building an airplane is all about.

I can tell, I build a KitFox on my own - without any other experience in building than model airplanes. http://kitfoxclassiciv.blogspot.nl
Now I build an RV12 with a buddy. For me that means: More security in finance, in building,in fun.
But we still build one evening per week - every week.

Take care,and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Back