What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Part Number Help Needed

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
The -8 is down for some "minor" maintenance and the more I dig, the more I find... The bottom line is that I pulled the front panel to trace some wiring and found problems... I see I need to move some stuff around for clearance, so I need start over with a blank panel. Can anyone provide me with the center instrument panel part number?

And as long as I have you, how about the part number for the rear throttle kit (single lever)?

Thanks a bunch!

F-803A-1 is the center panel for the -1 kit.

I don't have a rear throttle

Joe

Great - Thanks!

Is there a difference between 8A/8/quick built/slow, etc... or are they all the same panel?

BTW, looks like the rear seat throttle is CT 81R

Last edited:
Part Numbers

Newer RV8/8A kits are pre-punched. Part numbers end with -1 so the kits are known as the "dash one" version. The newer kits do not require any jigs/fixtures for assembly.

Older RV8/8A kits are partially pre-punched and required jigs/fixtures for assembly of the horizontal stabilizer and fuselage.

Quickbuild (QB) kits are/were sent from Van's to the Philippines for assembly and are/were then returned to Van's for final sale to the customer. So you may have a standard or QB kit that is "dash one" or not...

Clear as mud?

The part number (F-803A-1) provided for the panel center section is correct for a "dash one" kit.
The part number for an older kit would be F-803APP.

If you check Van's website (http://vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt)
and search or print out "the list" you will see other part numbers for older kits.

Here's a current extract (italics are mine):
F-803A-1 INSTR.PANEL $25.65 Dash One center section
F-803APP INSTRUMENT PANEL $25.63
F-803B-L-1 INSTR.SUB-PANEL $13.90 Dash One Left Side
F-803B-R-1 INSTR.SUB-PANEL $13.90 Dash One Right Side
F-803BPP-L INSTRUMENT SUB PANEL $14.60
F-803BPP-R INSTRUMENT SUB PANEL $14.60
F-803C-1 INST.PNL.ATTACH FLNGE $11.50 Dash One panel attach flange
F-803CPP INSTR PANEL ATTACH $10.57

When in doubt, call Van's and provide your serial number...they can tell you what part number is correct.

Geez, Mike. You didn't have to show me up like that...I was typing on an iPhone! ;):)

Thanks for clarifying all that. After I submitted, I thought, "hope he knows what a -1 is...", but got distracted doing something else---internet ADD.

Funny thing is, I need to order new L and R sub-panels and the attach flange, so your post ended up helping me!

Joe

Part Numbers

Joe,
Yeah, I probably got carried away with my regular keyboard...but glad to help!
Mike

OK, I got it all straightened out (this is not a -1 kit), so I went ahead and ordered the center, left, and right sub panels. In addition, I ordered the attach flange. Without looking at it, I'm guessing that this is the bowed angle piece that attaches to the upper skin. Question - It is possible to replace this whole piece with the windshield in place? If not, I'll likely section it and splice into the damaged section.

Thanks for the help.

Panel Attach Strip

On mine (dash one) the attach strip gets riveted onto the panel side pieces and the top skin. The side pieces have nutplates to attach the center section.

I haven't done my canopy yet, but would think drilling out the attach strip would be a real sport once the canopy is in place....

Mike

I ordered an extra panel blank for my -8 (sn-82330) and a friend needed one for his (sn-80055) so I gave it to him. The prepuched holes lined up perfectly. Actually, we didn't know there were two different panels.

Back