What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav Lights Wiring

timandmeli

Well Known Member
Ok guys, I'm starting to wire the fuse on my RV-8A. I want to turn the nav lights on with a single switch. I'm pretty sure its not acceptable to run three wires to a single spade connector so how is everyone else doiong this. I could use a terminal strip behind the aft baggeage compartment just not sure if this is how I want to do it. Thanks Tim

Ok guys, I'm starting to wire the fuse on my RV-8A. I want to turn the nav lights on with a single switch. I'm pretty sure its not acceptable to run three wires to a single spade connector so how is everyone else doiong this. I could use a terminal strip behind the aft baggeage compartment just not sure if this is how I want to do it. Thanks Tim
Why not just use a butt-splice connector where the three wires separate? Two wires in each end of the butt splice is absolutely no problem. Assuming you plan to have the wings on permanently, a terminal strip would be overkill IMHO, weigh more, and provide you no real advantage that the butt splice does not also provide. See AeroElectric Bob's website for precisely this type of recommendation.

Last edited:

STOP!

If you haven't got a copy of the AeroElectric Connection, now is the time to consider it.
RECR11sm.jpg

You can get it from Steinair along with most of the other things you'll need for wiring.

For this question though, check out this page...http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/multiplewires/multiplewires.html
I had the same situation as you, I ran one wire from the switch to the bottom of the fuse then made the connections there with a butt splice like Bob illustrates in this picture.

octopus.jpg

I simple crimped my three wires into a yellow PIDG spade terminal. :eek: Checked for security and support and moved on.

Back