What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trick to installing the intercylinder baffles?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
While troubleshooting high CHT issues, I noticed that the right side intercylinder baffle was installed incorrectly on my Superior O-360. I suspect this happened when the #3 cylinder was replaced while the plane was under previous ownership. The outer vertical portion of the baffle was installed between the first & second fins from the top of the head, rather than on the outside of the first fin. The baffle was also shifted perhaps 1/4" to the rear due to interference this created with the cylinder mounting bolts. The baffle was bent out of shape where it meets the crankcase, resulting in a significant gap (cooling air leak).

I have straightened the baffle & now have a better (but not perfect) fit to the crankcase & cylinder bases. I see there are some threads about sealing those gaps with RTV, so I'm off to read them next.

My problem now is, how do I bend the upper retaining spring enough to re-attach the retaining hook? The Lycoming service manual was no help, it just says to press it down until the hook can be re-engaged.

If it?s the part that I?m thinking of, I use a loop of safety wire to pull up on the hook, while using my thumbs to push down on the flat spring.

make it a two man job, I too use safety wire to pull on the hook while the other uses a flat head screwdriver to push down the baffle.

Make a loop with safety wire, insert the loop through the slot in the top retainer spring and hook the vertical rod. With top retainer in place, press down with a large screw driver on the center of the spring retainer while maneuvering the vertical rod in place. .031 safety wire Keeps the rod & wire just thin enough to fit through the retainer spring slot.

Thanks!

Thanks to all who chimed in. Safety wire seems to be the consensus. It's great to be able to tap into all the knowledge on this forum!

Back