What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closed Towers - Any news about operation restrictions

gereed75

Well Known Member
With the FAA plans to close many towers in response to Corona, has anyone seen any proposals to restricting ops from those previously tower controlled fields?

I guess it would be no different than flying into a tower controlled field during hours of closed tower.

Las Vegas CTAF

Here's how it works - Las Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdiVpGPI_pI

A bit off topic, but didn't seem to be much of an issue. I'd guess a good percentage of airline pilots also fly privately, so they just apply the same rules with their 737 as they do with their RV-7.

Closed towers

It makes one wonder why some of the smaller Delta airports bother with towers? I’ve been to several and have wondered why they are there. Is there a closure list somewhere?

AOPA Sez

AOPA just emailed some guidelines today regarding what they call ATC Zero when a facility is forced to close. Major points are to check NOTAMs before you go, plan extra fuel and time, expect delays, don?t make unnecessary trips (no, they didn?t define ?unnecessary? but did say not to take advantage of the low traffic volume for flight training or sightseeing). If a facility closes there may be TFRs in place. I saw a red transparency on ForeFlight over McCarran Las Vegas a while back when somebody tested positive and yhey evacuated the tower for cleaning. Does not necessarily mean you can?t go there but there are different rules than you might expect. AOPA calls the new environment ?dynamic.? Uh huh.

The old way

To see how it was done in the 30's get a copy of North Star Over my Shoulder. Settle into your favorite recliner with the book. Connect to the way back machine and enjoy your flight in the jump seat of a TWA DC 3

With the FAA plans to close many towers in response to Corona, has anyone seen any proposals to restricting ops from those previously tower controlled fields?

I guess it would be no different than flying into a tower controlled field during hours of closed tower.

MDW was closed for a little over a week. I was the first A/C to depart after the closure, in my RV...its was surreal. They had a recording on ATIS indicating it reverted to Class E just like normal tower closures. It was CAVOK and Southwest canceled the rest of their flights that day so no big deal. I flew in the next morning for a trip and it was still quiet.

Departing for my trip later that day was a different story...MVFR and 3-4 airplanes in the pattern taking advantage of the situation doing touch-n-goes. We were given 3 minute void times, with other IFR traffic departing and arriving, and it was a pain in the *** trying to coordinate with one particular aircraft that was taking advantage of right-of-way. I politely asked them to stop and taxi back so we could leave...they did so reluctantly.

FAA eventually placed a TFR over the airport that restricted operations to aircraft under surveillance from the Chicago TRACON, arriving and departing MDW. Not sure if LAS had the same rules during their closure.

Back