What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Design software

BCP Boys

Well Known Member
I would like to start doing some panel designs and really don't want to fork up the money for CAD. Has anyone found a software (hopefully freeware) that does a good job and has RV7 templates and updated avionics/EFIS packages? I found a few during my search but wanted to know what you all used. I know I've seen several posts here with folks posting pictures of their panels in design phase. I think I even saw one with the new Garmin touch yesterday . . .

CAD

Like you, I didn't want to spend a fortune for a CAD program but after multiple failed free programs I ponied up and bought TurboCAD for my Mac. It is the simple 2D version, easy to use, and not expensive. You can download a zip file from VAN'S that has the panel layout. I just did a redesign and took out the two G3X displays and added a single G3X Touch. TurboCAD offers a 30 trial. Try it you like it. :D

I've been using Front Panel Expresse's free tool in association with a CAD program. It's a nice simple tool to use once you get the hang of it. The only problem is that in some cases you need a regular 2D CAD tool to make complex cutout shapes. Depending on what you are doing I might be able to give you the shapes that I created already. Brantel gave me some of his when I started.

I did an extensive search of free CAD tools and for me none of them was any good. I ended up buying a copy of Geomagic. It seems to work pretty well. You can get a free demo license if you want to try it out.

Like you, I didn't want to spend a fortune for a CAD program but after multiple failed free programs I ponied up and bought TurboCAD for my Mac. It is the simple 2D version, easy to use, and not expensive. You can download a zip file from VAN'S that has the panel layout. I just did a redesign and took out the two G3X displays and added a single G3X Touch. TurboCAD offers a 30 trial. Try it you like it. :D

I also use TurboCAD, but for PC running through parallels. It is easy to use and allows me to modify the panel in any way I want and then Kay it out for the water jet or laser shop. I can layout a panel in an hour or two with everything I want on it. It's fairly easy to design new cut outs for instruments I haven't used before, or I can drag them from another panel and drop them on a new one.

Have a look at Front Panel Express

We used this (Front Panel Express) software frequently at my work. I'm not sure about panel templates but the software is free and fairly intuitive. Also, the software will tell you how much the cost will be for the part and the machining almost instantly. Additionally, it will export your work to a "dxf" file for use in other software packages.

Regards,

Tom

DraftSight

I also use Front Panel Express, specifically for the lettered panels that I'll be using for my switches, mixture, throttle, etc. I also downloaded DraftSight. There is a free version that anyone can use (you do have to register it, but at no cost). It's well documented on the web, and I was able to pick it up quickly. I was also able to use other people's panels as a starting point to jumpstart my design. I'm already 90% done, only 90% to go...

David

Excellent information - Thank you all for taking the time to provide feedback. Hope I can return the favor one day :D

I use draftsight on a daily basis. it is free and basically is autocad, which is why they got sued and had to offer free versions as a settlement. I have a 4'x4' cnc router. often I cut prototypes from rigid foam insulation. it cuts fast, clean edges and is easy on my bits. nothing like a full size mockup. send me a .DXF file and i'll cut you a panel.

Back