What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-814 Roll-Over Bar

brucegray

I am positioning the WD-814 and find the weldment needs to be spread 1/4 to 9/32. What has the general RV8 public done to safely get the width I need to position this properly on the fuse?
Any advise would be great.

Bruce G.
RV8 Fuse

An alternate way to strech it

If you don't have the two posts, you could try what I did; which was to use a floor jack to spread it. I set the floor jack up on blocks to get it high enough off the floor to provide clearance for the WD814. Cut a 2 x 4" board long enough to go between the lift pad of the floor jack and the inside top of the weldment.

Jack slowly and measure the springback until you know how much springback you get before you get bending. This is important no matter how you bend it since its easier to spread it than to push it together. :eek:

This worked well for me, just my 2 cents worth.

brucegray said:
I am positioning the WD-814 and find the weldment needs to be spread 1/4 to 9/32. What has the general RV8 public done to safely get the width I need to position this properly on the fuse?
Any advise would be great.

Bruce G.
RV8 Fuse

Bruce,
DON'T modify the roll bar before checking the width dimension between the outer edges of the F-817 longerons at the mounting point. It should be 31.5"
Mine was 31.875". If you leave this dimension to wide, you will create more problems later, when you go to fit your canopy and frame. It's best to correct the dimension.
This is a bit involved, so I'm going to contact you off list with how I fixed mine.
Charlie Kuss
PS I addressed this in thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=94025&highlight=weldment

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will have to bend the roll over bar and deal with the outcome with other components down the road due to the 816 rails, and WD-808 mid support already riveted and bolted in. I don't think the side loads to the fuse would be good at this point. I'll spread the bow and move on. Thanks again guys.

Bruce G.
RV8 Fuse

Back