What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mogas for RV's with Traditional Engines

Jack Tyler

Well Known Member
I suppose I could have posted his on any of the non-RV12 forums, but since the 9 is the most appealing airframe for our plans, I'll stick it here. For an experimental a/c like an RV-9, with an O-320 engine, what's required to legally fuel it with mogas? Is it similar to Part 23 a/c, where only certain versions of the O-320 are eligible and one purchases an STC? OTOH isn't it likely that most RV-9's will be powered with a non-certified Lycoming engine, in which case, does an STC even apply?

I flew a Grumman for almost a decade that had an O-320 for which I purchased an EAA STC for mogas. I found the 'owner fueling' task to be relatively easy to manage, used the cost savings to help fund the IFR upgrade and family flying, and we just discovered a gas station near our new (to us) home in Jacksonville sells E0 premium mogas. All of which makes this question potentally more than just academic.

Once again, thanks for the coaching...

Jack

You're talking experimental aircraft..

You don't need permission to burn mogas. Its your experimental aircraft whether you installed a former certified engine or use one of the many experimental engines. By the way let me know where e0 mogas can be purchased in Jacksonville. Might use it in my RV-6A project later. :)

For an experimental a/c like an RV-9, with an O-320 engine, what's required to legally fuel it with mogas? Is it similar to Part 23 a/c, where only certain versions of the O-320 are eligible and one purchases an STC? OTOH isn't it likely that most RV-9's will be powered with a non-certified Lycoming engine, in which case, does an STC even apply?

Jack

You can legally run anything in your experimental aircraft you wish....kerosene, mineral spirits, root beer, whatever. STC's don't apply to experimental aircraft in a regulatory manner regardless of the engine. They may, however, provide guidance in prudent operation of the engines.

[thread moved to RV General Discussion; S. Buchanan]

Last edited:
e0 mogas

You don't need permission to burn mogas. Its your experimental aircraft whether you installed a former certified engine or use one of the many experimental engines. By the way let me know where e0 mogas can be purchased in Jacksonville. Might use it in my RV-6A project later. :)

I to am from JAX and just found e0 mogas. the gate station on Heckshire just off 9A has ethanol free 89 octane for $4.09 a gal. not much cheaper than avgas, $4.89 for 100LL at KSGJ self serve pump.
I use it for my model airplanes, compared to $15 a gallon for nitromethane it is cheap stuff.

STC

For the price of the STC, about $50, you get the spec the auto fuel needs to meet, which is sold in every state except where I am, Alaska. There are some other issues that make it worth it to me to get that STC package for my low compression O-320 E2D. I don't need it to be legal, I want it to be safe. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think EAA hold the STC.

Thanks, guys.

Wendell:
"By the way let me know where e0 mogas can be purchased in Jacksonville. Might use it in my RV-6A project later."

Might want to check out http://pure-gas.org/. Among their Florida listings, and eight stations selling E0 gas in Jax, is the one near me: 5406 Timuquana Road, on the west side.

Jack

thanks for the website info...

Never knew it existed. Now I have several choices for pure gas around jacksonville.

Never knew it existed. Now I have several choices for pure gas around jacksonville.

Be advised some of the listings may be obsolete, this was the case in my area. But it is a valuable resource, just confirm ethanol-free at a listed station before purchase.

And also be advised that the way listings are kept current is by those of us using the listings. Hopefully, Sam sent in corrections for the listings he found were incorrect...and ditto for the rest of us, too.

Jack

Something to think about if you decide to run mogas. When shopping for a RV several owners ran mogas however from one tank only. The would use the tank with Avgas in the pattern for TO and landing and the mogas at cruise. Might be nice for piece of mind and to avoid any vapor lock issues if the problem actually exists.

George

Back