What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall Gear Option/Cowl PN

brucegray

Not new to VAF but new to a 4 question. Been hearing about tall gear options.

Would like to know what it involves and parts to make this happen. A few more questions if I could while I'm at it.

1) Cowl PN and pricing? Might have to rework current or buy new and start over.

2) Newer gear fairings PN/Pricing? Currently the aluminum 2 piece.

3) Retro from the older tail spring to a full swivel for Doug Bell fork.

I ask and I'm hunting for a potential purchase. We'll see... :rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch,

Bruce Gray
RV8 Finishing
SOLD! :(

Long RV-4 gear legs.

Bruce,

In response to your first question, you'll have to buy a new engine mount and the long gear legs that match the engine mount. I believe they come with the top retaining bolt hole drilled through the mount and the gear leg. Originally the builder had to drill that hole, years ago.

As far as your remaining questions, you need to have part numbers and then call Van's for their prices, or, if you have the part number you can go onto Van's website, to the Web store and then go to the "List" all prices are individually listed for the public to view.

Just a word of advice, when you call Van's, you need to have your parts available. It's better for you to do your own research on part numbers, etc. rather than leaning on Van's help too much.

If you don't have a set of plans, you can always order the preview plans to get your part numbers. Preview plans used to be priced about $55, don't know what they cost now.

Mod required

Bruce,
You don't have to change the cowl at all. You will need a new motor mount and gear legs. You will also need new gear leg fairings, upper and lower intersection fairings. It is not a hard to do conversion but is a fair amount of work. Additionally the new mount will require a mod to the firewall where a couple of holes don't line up. Van's has an instruction sheet on how to do it. Just call and ask. Good luck and I think you will like the mod.

Back