What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USS Alabama - Mobile

JDRhodes

Well Known Member
My son, Cameron (6) and I took a trip via RV-9 from Taylorsville, GA to Mobile, AL for the purpose of viviting the USS Alabama Battleship in Mobile Bay. We departed at 8:00 AM from North Georgia on the coldest day of the year, so far. It was 18 deg F with a windchill in the very low 10's.

2 hour flight diagnally across the state of Alabama to Mobile Downtown Airport, which is the old airport. The airport is just south of downtown and the approach to RWY 32 is out over the bay.

2rr5s2a.jpg

5km0pk.jpg

Downtown Air Center let us use a courtesy car for a couple of hours - Thanks guys! It's about a 5 mile drive from the airport to the Battleship Park.

Continued...

The museum is nice. The Alabama was built during WWII and was retired just after the war.

qqamqf.jpg

They also have a WWII submarine there, the USS Drum, and a nice airplane museum. There was some sort of reception going on in the air museum - lots of people in town for a bowl game, I think. So, we didn't see too much of it.

1sjimv.jpg

dnedqh.jpg

A good flying trip and a good day with my son.

122n5sh.jpg

Good to see the air museum as been put back in order. When my wife and I went there after Katrina it was a sad sight. Even the mighty USS Alabama was listing to it's side.

Almost all of the airplanes in the air museum had some sort of visible damage. The air museum was roped off due to the damage but it could be seen fairly easily.

http://rv.jpainter.org/?view=entry&date=2006-02-19

There were still about four airplanes sitting in the parking lot in a roped-off area with visible damage. A DC-3, F-9, an F-105 and a helicopter or two without rotors.

Slowly putting it all back together.

Thanks for the pix Jeff! I have been thinking about a trip to Mobile lately. Flying with your kids is the best. I have taught both of them how to follow the GPS track and maintain straight and level flight. I realized later that since my son could not see very well over the cowling that he was instrument flying the whole time! Booster cushions would help there.

Not just the old Mobile Airport, it was first "Brookley Air Force Base" back in the day.

This past year several of us from the MS Gulf Coast did quite a bit of exploring in Lower Alabama. Flying into KBFM is pretty cool and if you haven't been to the USS Alabama it's a fun trip.

A few places to see, Dauphin Island has a brand new runway with more parking available. Nothing else at the airport but a short walk (OK, not really short, but do-able) to the Oar House and you can get some pretty good eats. Dauphin Island is just that, an island so landing there is a lot of fun as the runway was built out into the water. 22 miles south of KBFM. If your in the area check it out.

01266.jpg

Dauphin Island Airport

By the way, when leaving Dolphin Island fly to the southeast about 3 miles and find the old lighthouse that still stands. In October Ole Glory was tattered and torn but still flying from that old lighthouse. Way cool. Also, east of Dauphin Island is Fort Morgan, don't miss it either. If it's nice weather take the ferry across the bay.

On the other (east) side of the bay is Fairhope. Home to Teledyne-Continental Motors, they will have fuel and a full service FBO. They also have a courtesy car that you use to get to Fly Creek Cafe. If the car isn't available, call the cafe. The owner is a pilot and if they have time he says they'll come pick you up. Really good food and a great atmosphere. As you drive from the airport take go west to the bay and follow the road north to Fly Creek. The drive is worth it, right through old Fairhope.

For a bit more upscale visit to Fairhope check out the Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa. It's stunning and the Sunday brunch (I've been told) is to die for! I've seen it several times from the air and it's gorgeous. If you don't do anything else, at least check out the website. Those of you looking for a weekend getaway with the wife... hint...hint.

If your looking for a quirky place to have lunch then Foley is for you. Land at 5R4 and go to Lamberts. Home of the "throwed rolls". Lamberts is too far to walk so call them first and ask if they can come pick you up.

Lastly, at least for now is Jack Edwards and Gulf Shores AL. So many good places to eat there I can't list them all. I've been there several times and they ALWAYS have had a courtesy car. NEW ones even! But just in case, LuLu's is just a short walk unless you are there in August. Then it's too dang hot to walk. Really good food at a fun place to eat. Gulf Shores is a cool place but if you have time drive down the beach to the east and find Orange Beach. Lots more places on the water there to eat like Tacky Jacks. OK, even if you drive west towards Dolphin Island you find Tack Jacks 2 but I like the one in Orange Beach more.

If you haven't been to LA ("Lower Alabama" as the locals call it) you will be surprised at how nice it really is. Drop down low for the last 30 miles or so and slow down. it really is pretty.

OK, one more plug. If you want to visit the Naval Museum on Pensacola NAS, call the fine folks at 82J Ferguson Airport. If they have the time they'll take you to the museum and pick you up. There is a resturant in the museum so making a day of it is easy.

I know it sounds like I work for the Chamber of Commerce but I’m not even from there. Heck I’m not even from Mississippi, I just really like that area. If you haven’t been there, you don’t know what you are missing.

Last edited:
Dang, John - Now I feel like I missed a lot. I'll have to go back - maybe when it climbs out of the 40's!:D

Dang, John - Now I feel like I missed a lot. I'll have to go back - maybe when it climbs out of the 40's!:D

No kidding! It's cold here too. I know, those guys up north would welcome a 40 degree day but we're not used to this down here.

Looking at your son's expression, you didn't miss a thing on your trip. It was a home-run!

I've given a lot of rides to kids, some like to look out and others just see it as a way of getting from here to there with not much interest in what is going on outside. If he likes to look around, I would suggest about 4 inches of styrofoam in the shape of and under his seat cushion though. You can cut it easily from a sheet of insulation from Home Depot, doesn't add any weight to the plane and it's cheap so when he doesn't need it anymore just toss it.

Back