What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin XM Antenna Under Cowl

flickroll

Well Known Member
I'd like to mount my 696's XM antenna under the cowl of my -8. However the antenna lead may be just a little short - won't know for sure until I mount it and run the wire. What have others done - I've been looking online for a Mini USB extension cable and am not having much luck locating one. Is it OK to cut the cable and solder in an extension? I'm reluctant to do that because if I somehow screw it up I'll need to buy another expensive antenna. Thanks

Well I'll be switched - thanks :)

Actually after giving it more thought I think I'm going to use the Airgizmos XM antenna mount under the cowl - and they also have the extension I'm looking for. That way I can easily.....well sort of.....remove the antenna if I want to temporarily move the 696 to another airplane.

Next question - I wonder how well the Airgizmos antenna dock will hold up in a high heat environment.

Last edited:
I have and RV-6A But I plan to put mine in the cockpit

I guess you have a reason for putting your antenna under the cowl so I will not question it. However, I have an old GPS 90 antenna remotely mounted on top of the forward fuselage skin under the windshield adjacent to the center roll bar brace and it works very well. I plan to make a similar installation for my remote 695 antenna.

Bob Axsom

It may work fine under the cowl, at least for a while. Heat and vibration are the enemy of all things man-made, so expect a shorter lifespan. I suggest you put it on your glareshield, that's where mine is on my -6 and I've forgotten its even there.

We agree!!!

It may work fine under the cowl, at least for a while. Heat and vibration are the enemy of all things man-made, so expect a shorter lifespan. I suggest you put it on your glareshield, that's where mine is on my -6 and I've forgotten its even there.

Well said and seconded!

XM Antenna Under the Cowl

There are two of us RV-8 Drivers here in Peachtree City GA with the XM Antenna under the cowl. So far it has worked well with no problems. I put it right next to my GPS Antenna which is also under the cowl. Heck, I even cut the cord in half to run through a cannon plug where everything connects to the panel. So far I have not had any problems, but naturally I do not recommend such foolishness on someone else's airplane, (just mine). Good luck.

Originally I was going with a 496 with an Airgizmo antenna mount but upgraded to a 696 and was told the Airgizmo antenna mount was too small for the 696 antenna (it is larger). Even if it would fit, you still have the square XM antenna to locate somewhere.

With the 696 I ran the cables straight through middle of the baggage compartment via the baggage door hinge brace with cable to spare. Mounted both antennas on a little shelf very near the top of the firewall. Check the actual location of the shelf as not to interfere with the cowl/firewall pin removal/installation.

No idea how long they will last.

Back