What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance item - sniffle line bracket FF-00076

iamtheari

Well Known Member
This is just an FYI to anyone who is transitioning from the build phase to the maintenance phase.

I am almost done with my first condition inspection. I have 98 hours on the plane. The only part I had to order from Van's Aircraft was FF-00076, the little metal bracket that holds the sniffle line up at the front. It broke at the bend. I ordered two so I will have a spare. I would suggest that others do the same.

It's probably the easiest part of the plane to fabricate if you wanted to do it at home, but I have been too busy for metal work and actually need my plane back in the air, so I am at the mercy of the US Postal Service this week.

Everything else, save a couple of screws, survived the first year in good shape. I thought ahead and bought 100 each of the screws and washers for the interior and exterior access covers, spinner, and air filter frame. If not for that sniffle line bracket, I'd be in the air right now.

Happy building and flying, everyone.

I know of a number of those metal clips that broke off, including my own. I made one from a thicker material and never had any issues with it.

Anyone have a picture? I'm just curious what this bracket looks like as I don't think it is on the -7.

Anyone have a picture? I'm just curious what this bracket looks like as I don't think it is on the -7.

It is not on a 7, this is a RV14 specific that holds the hose from sniffle valve hose and it is attached to the exhaust pipe.

I know of a number of those metal clips that broke off, including my own. I made one from a thicker material and never had any issues with it.

That's probably what I should have done.

The deeper question I have is whether I could have skipped the whole sniffle valve situation altogether. But I think that's in the religious wars section of the forum. :)

That's probably what I should have done.

The deeper question I have is whether I could have skipped the whole sniffle valve situation altogether. But I think that's in the religious wars section of the forum. :)

The sniffle valve is not necessary thing to have but it is a good thing if one tends to run the fuel pump on longer than it is needed at the startup. It drains any fuel that maybe in the sump. So if you have it, I would definitely keep it if I were you. All my three RVs have had it.

Back