What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Michelin Air Stop tires

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
After 14 and a half years, and 1150 hours, and many tire changes, I have finally swapped out my original air stop tubes. It has been an experiment of mine, to see how long they would last.
Typically I would add air about twice a year but this last winter the right tube required an extra shot of air. To me this was a sign that maybe it was time for the experiment to end.
These tubes are quite expensive but worth every penny. I am not recommending that others go 14 years but my experience has been very positive. I initially changed to the airstop tires as I was getting tired of adding air all the time to my tubes on prior airplanes. Twice a year is ok with me.
The rocket can be hard on tires and my current set are Dresser retreads and they are superior to all other tires I have used over the years. They are a little larger and definitely heavier but work the work of opening the wheel pants a little.

+1 for Tom's comments.

Indeed, the price of those tubes is breathtaking, but they are worth it.

Nothing is worse than rushing to the airport only to find low tires. Ugh.

My exact experience matches Tom and Vince's comments above:

Michelin AirStop Butyl= Awesome and what you would expect for aircraft

Natural Rubber = Next Best. Work great but require regular air checks and filling.

Desser/Aero Classic Leakguard Butyl = Don't even qualify for hit and miss. Flat-out ticking time bombs. Stay away.

The AirStop and Leakguard are Butyl which is a synthetic material. Use lots of baby powder during installation for these as they don't do well with friction against the inside of the tire casing. In the case of my least favorite Leakguards they don't leak down, they completely pop when the mold line areas of the tube chaffe inside the tire. No prior indications. Just instant flat. As a result don't use lower pressures with the Leakguard brand as that causes more chaffing. i have not experienced this same problem with the Michelin AirStops as they are manufactured differently.

We had a spat of flat tires show up a few years back and we discovered the blow-out behavior of the Leakguards. Since ridding the fleet of Leakguards the problem has gone away. i don't know what the price difference between all three options outlined above but one flat tire with the potential of wheel pant damage or ground loop makes that look like chump change. Especially if at a controlled field who sends the FBO out to load the flat tire onto a dolly for a tow in.

Jim

Last edited:
After 14 and a half years, and 1150 hours, and many tire changes, I have finally swapped out my original air stop tubes. It has been an experiment of mine, to see how long they would last.
Typically I would add air about twice a year but this last winter the right tube required an extra shot of air. To me this was a sign that maybe it was time for the experiment to end.
These tubes are quite expensive but worth every penny. I am not recommending that others go 14 years but my experience has been very positive. I initially changed to the airstop tires as I was getting tired of adding air all the time to my tubes on prior airplanes. Twice a year is ok with me.
The rocket can be hard on tires and my current set are Dresser retreads and they are superior to all other tires I have used over the years. They are a little larger and definitely heavier but work the work of opening the wheel pants a little.

Just out of curiosity, did you try changing the valve core when the tube started leaking? Just wondering if it was the tube or the valve.

I did remove the valve core, blew it off and put back in. There was still a very slow leak, kind of like you would get from normal off the shelf tubes.
I do not recommend keeping your tubes for 14 years; it was a bit of an experiment, your milage may vary

I did remove the valve core, blew it off and put back in. There was still a very slow leak, kind of like you would get from normal off the shelf tubes.
I do not recommend keeping your tubes for 14 years; it was a bit of an experiment, your milage may vary

I installed the AirStop tubes May 22, 2005 at 1,671.0 Hobbs hours. They have been trouble free and are now 15-years old. As of today, they have been trouble free for 1,816.8 Hobbs hours since new.

Van's price

Just to fill in the blanks here, ACS price for a Michelin Airstop 5.00-5 tUbe is $119.50
And Van's price for a tube of the same size is $59.00 - so essentially the best on the market is double the "base price".

"When you buy the best, you only cry once!" -A wise man I used to work with.

And Van's price for a tube of the same size is $59.00 - so essentially the best on the market is double the "base price".

So for Tom and Gary that’s about $7.75ish a year per wheel.
Cheap insurance..
Mine are 9 years old so I’m paying higher premiums.

I purchased a pair of Desser/Aero Classic Leakguard Butyl tubes for my RV12 at Oshkosh last year. The sales guy said they are made of the same material as the Michelin tubes. They may be the same material, but the Dresser tubes I purchased need additional air, frequently.
I just purchased a pair of the Michelin Airstop tubes to replace them.

Love this quote !!

I love this quote and I agree...!!!

Not flying yet, I installed the supplied tubes. I know when the pressure drops as soon as I move the 8 in the hangar... The tires make a "squirming" sound... They need some air about every 6 to 8 weeks.

After reading this thead, I ordered a pair of Michelins and will replace the originals before first flight. I hope not having to add air too often but most importantly, to avoid having a surprise flat on landing...

You would be impressed at the number of flats happening to club aircraft during landing I dealt with in the last year I worked as ATC in the TWR.

I've experienced 3 flat tires on my 9A in the first 400 hours of operation - all have been with the AeroClassic butyl tubes. Since switching to the Michelin AirStops 300 hours ago I've not had any flights, and only have to add air once between annuals.

They are high-priced, but worth it. My first flat tire was on the right main on a 35-foot wide paved strip with unfriendly ditches on the sides - not a good place to go sliding off the runway.

I used the original tubes supplied by Van's with the kit during my build. Even in my garage without the wings on I would have to air them up every few weeks. Before my first flight, I bought Michelin Air Stop tubes and have used them ever since. I put 50 lbs. of air in them and have to add air about two or three times a year. (Much easier to move the airplane around with the 50 lbs. inflation.)

Of note, I always replace the Air Stop tubes with new ones when I change tires (I like the Condor tire) which is every five years. It's not from wear as much as is it is from age and the rubber breakdown. I figure it's cheap insurance when considering the cost of a flat and resulting ground loop.

Chris

Thanks Tom!

Thanks for this Tom and timely data point for me.

I bought my kit in progress and it had AirStop tubes ( I later found out). I am guessing they were first installed around 2003. I add air (4 psi) about twice a year. Since the tires are due for replacement soon (135 hrs), I did purchase new AirStops and they cost more than the tires, so wondered if they could be reused.

Since they are so old I will replace with the new ones already purchased, but your data point says I won't have to replace them with every tire change!! Thrifty and safe, a good combination.

We always use the michelin air stop. And use lots of talcum powder. They last a very long time.

Vic

Back