What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mess Free Oil Change Possible?

One thing I do is elevate the tailwheel so that all that oil in the back of the oil pan flows forward and drains out with the rest of the oil. Makes it easier and cleaner to do the oil screen too

For sure - thanks for adding. I used to do that too when I had a tailwheel jack

One thing I do is elevate the tailwheel so that all that oil in the back of the oil pan flows forward and drains out with the rest of the oil. Makes it easier and cleaner to do the oil screen too

There are a lot of special tools out there to try make the oil change cleaner on a Lycoming. Is mess free possbile? Not really hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdRCiU-I2XE

Great video.
Just curious which model challenger oil filter are you using with your up right oil filter adaptor and how long have you been using that? Any feed back on it would be great.
I have the B&C up right adaptor which calls for CH48108 oil filter. These have an anti drain back so they don't drain out between each start.

I punch a small hole in my Tempest filter adjacent to the safety wire ring and let it drain overnight. The next day I put a piece of tape over the hole and remove the filter with minimal or no drip.
The tape over the hole prevents any remaining oil from dripping out once I turn the filter over after removing.
It would be nice if your challenger filter had a "relief" valve.

Aircraft Spruce shows directly which filter to replace the 48108. I've been using these for years on several RV models. I really like the size (smaller diameter), cooling fins, and looks. And no more cutting filters open.

Great video.
Just curious which model challenger oil filter are you using with your up right oil filter adaptor and how long have you been using that? Any feed back on it would be great.
I have the B&C up right adaptor which calls for CH48108 oil filter. These have an anti drain back so they don't drain out between each start.

I punch a small hole in my Tempest filter adjacent to the safety wire ring and let it drain overnight. The next day I put a piece of tape over the hole and remove the filter with minimal or no drip.
The tape over the hole prevents any remaining oil from dripping out once I turn the filter over after removing.
It would be nice if your challenger filter had a "relief" valve.
My understanding is that some of the models have the relief valve, unless by relief valve you mean a drain valve from the body.

yes

Yes some have relief valves as indicated in the product description. Drains back into engine.

Think he was meaning an actual valve to open and drain it before removing it. None have that for good reason.

Back