What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Lost Due to In-Flight Fire

RV8JD

Well Known Member
RV-14A Lost Due to In-Flight Fire (7/16/19)

Last edited:
News media:
"The pilot was the only person on-board during the crash, and there were no other reports of injuries. The sheriff's office said he has been flying since his military service during the Vietnam War."

Public education.

Anyone have further information on this incident?

Owner's name is apparently Eugene Michael. The preliminary NTSB report states serious injury, so let's hope he is doing well.

When Mr. Michael is back on his feet, I'd like to ask some questions relating to the fire and the airframe. If you know him, please pass along the request.

Moderator note

I deleted two posts for not adhering to VAF Posting Rule #2: Threads SPECULATING about the causes of a crash/incident before the Probable Cause document is issued are not allowed here. Please stick to the facts, Friends.

You can review the VAF Posting Rules at http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm.

No Speculation Watch Video

The pilot is interviewed in this video and explains what happened. Towards the end it is reported that he thinks the it started with an "oil problem." Hopefully his willingness to discuss the accident continues and we can all learn from it.

I do not know him, but I am close and my father lives very nearby. If nobody know this gentlemen I can see if I can get in touch with him.

Definitely something to learn from this for all of us.

One lesson taken from this - the emergency canopy eject mechanism is useful for egress in ground (or ground proximity) emergency. This is the reason I fully installed / activated this mechanism, based on exactly this argument made by someone on the forum.

Certainly very happy he is OK with only minor injuries, the most important part.
Of course this is of great interest to all of us in RV community, specially those with the 14. I will be very interested to find the root cause, an electrical fire or a fire that took the electric part out first.

Back