What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV IAC Aerobatic Competition Standings - 2018

ronschreck

Well Known Member
The first competition for 2018 is in the books and Jerry Esquenazi is firmly in the lead in Sportsman category with a 81.66% score. Jerry was in 5th place following the first flight at the Snowbird Classic in Dunnellon, Florida and rebounded with a solid first place flight in the second round which boosted him to third overall. Weather caused the contest to be cancelled before a third flight was flown. Randy King finished with a respectable score of 74.81% to finish 5th in a field of ten competitors and did it with a borrowed RV-7A. Randy sold his RV-4 and the word is that he is looking for a nice RV-8. I finished poorly after zeroing one figure in each of my two flights. That's enough to take one out of the competition even if the rest of the figures score well. It's a mind game as well as a skill game. Come join the fun. Here's the list of upcoming contests. Next weekend it's the Hammerhead Roundup in Borrego Springs, California.

Jerry with the hardware and a smile!

Awesome guys! You guys are lucky you've got a lot of RV company over there enjoying aerobatics. I was a little discouraged when I first got started b/c there seems to be no other RVs here flying competition aerobatics for advice/ support. But after joining a great IAC chapter and having gained enough experience to really enjoy this, I am absolutely loving it. =) Heck, if I didn't have to work, I could easily fly aerobatics every single day and not get bored with it! Thanks for the updates. =)

RV Aerobatics

The Snowbird Classic was a great contest. After having been out of the game for about a season and a half (back issues), it was good to participate in a contest again. The folks from Chapter 89 did a fantastic job organizing the event and we had great weather for the first couple of days. Saturday, not so much but at least we got to fly twice on Friday.

I do miss my RV-4 at times like these! My buddy's RV-7A is a willing competitor but I sure do miss sitting on the centerline and boy do I ever miss having a constant speed prop! The -7A has inverted fuel and oil though which is a huge improvement over my carbureted -4.

Competition aerobatics is a lot of fun and you meet some amazing people - like Ron Schreck and Jerry Esquenazi! Congratulations on third place Jerry!

Ron didn't mention that Jerry came in third to first and second place finishers flying EXTRAs and beat out the fourth place finisher who was also flying an EXTRA. That's pretty rarified air up there Jerry! We both finished ahead of all the PITTS flyers.

Ron had a hiccup or two but flew fantastic sequences at the much more difficult intermediate level. If you've every tried to fly a rolling turn in a RV, you'll appreciate how hard Ron has worked to reach his level of skill in his RV-8. It was inspiring Ron!

Don't let anybody tell you that RV's can't be competitive. Get out there and give it a try!

I was a little discouraged when I first got started b/c there seems to be no other RVs here flying competition aerobatics for advice/ support. But after joining a great IAC chapter and having gained enough experience to really enjoy this, I am absolutely loving it. =)

Just for anyone else, don't be discouraged by a lack of other experienced RV competition pilots in your area. Acro is acro, and anyone in this sport can help you, and would be glad to. There's nothing really special or unique about competing in an RV. There are plenty of uncommonly seen aircraft types that compete, and they are not held back by a lack of community in type. Ya just gotta jump in and do it. It's a club you admit yourself into.

Hey Ron, that’s going to be a very interesting chart when the year is done! I’m looking forward to seeing it filled up by all the RVs attending contests across the country.

Thanks for all the accolades guys. But Ron is correct. It is very much a mind game. It’s amazing how much information has to be processed and acted on in a very fast 3 1/2 minute flight. The difference between 1st place and last place could be just a couple of seconds of information overload!

Brian, I’m looking forward to hearing about your first contest.

Randy, it was great to finally meet you! I look forward to seeing you at future contests.

Eric is right. If a a 115 hp Citabria can enter a competition, certainly any RV can be competitive. To quote a Nike commercial.... “Just do it!”

Last edited:
Back