What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Tunes

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I need tunes for my hangar. I have been using a small JLB Flip wireless bluetooth speaker but it does not have the power that I would like to put out some high quality music with good volume.

I am looking for a bluetooth speaker with some power that produces excellent sound at good volume. I do not have wifi in the hangar so I am limited to bluetooth and plug in connections from my ipod. It would be good if the unit also had a built in radio.

Any suggestions for a good hangar music source?

There are many of us that are old enough to have BIG stereo speakers left over from the golden age of "you can never have too many watts going in to your speakers". We've even got the big old amps. Banished from the modern household by newer, Hi-Tech devices, they have found refuge in hangars where they can blast the volume out to their hearts content. A simple patch cable from the iPhone/iPad, or other music device works just fine.

For tunes, you might try and find the very rare "Air Circus" by Barb McLeod. Barb is a unique individual who has a PhD in conversational Mayan, teaches aerobatics (she did a video on "The Long Spin" in a C-150 years ago), and does distinctly unique folksy music....

Neal,

That is why I need a tunes player with lots of volume.

LOL so true I use a waterproof boom box with Amazon Prime music

g142BTBPSBL-F.jpg

UE Boom 2 or Mega Boom

Go to Best Buy and try this speaker at their display. 360° sound and waterproof. I was very impressed when my boss used one at a house gathering. Small package with good sound quality. You can even tether a pair (or more) together if you wanted. It has 3.5mm Auxiliary Input for chord connection.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brands/ue-ultimate-ears/pcmcat387800050039.c?id=pcmcat387800050039&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchRedirect=ue

4367406_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

If you want bigger look into the Mega Boom.

I use the Bose soundlink mini II that came as a bundle with the Bose A20 headset. I am amazed at the sound quality this little box can put out.

2nd for this option, although at times I would like more tunes I am not sure all my neighbors at the airport would agree.

I like the red Bose Color SoundLink bluetooth speaker my wife gave me for Christmas a couple years ago. It did a good job in the garage when I was building, and does a good job in the hangar as well. It will play for several hours on a battery charge, so I can stick it up on top of the parts cabinet or wherever I want it.

Bose Sound

Visit Bose.com - their ST-10 speakers let you link as many as your heart desires and can configure them in Left / Right for good stereo.

Can blast out great volume - until the neighbors complain...

Now the draw-back - you need a good budget to get a pair of them...

I also use the Soundlink Mini at home, it's great. I also have an older Bose Wave Radio, which is what I use at the hangar. Tunes local radio stations and has an aux input for music on my phone, but no bluetooth. Sounds awesome and can get loud without distortion.

a5ec4350-8225-11e5-9807-bbb6d6830cbd.jpg

Bose Acoustic... Wave.... Cannon....

The tactical nuclear weapon of stereo wars in the dorms at Kunsan AB Korea in the early 90s. It'll easily overpower any fans, compressors, small woodland creatures, wives, etc...

Last edited:
Sound bar

I used a TV sound bar.

Bluetooth in from my iPod, internal AM/FM radio and easy to hang up high on the wall out of the way for the sound to clear stuff sitting on the floor.

They came in all sound qualities (HiFi/LoFi), power levels and prices.

It replaced a portable CD player that wouldn't work after a few months in the workshop dust. :)

Last edited:
Hangar tunes... what a concept.

From an historical perspective, I came from a "no radio" background... Music just wasn't something we heard at home, unless it was Mom playing the piano. Leap ahead to my first job where the helicopter hangar, populated by lots of young, energetic AMEs (that's the northern equivalent to A&Ps) always had tunes playing. That was my personal introduction to Rock 'n Roll. What a way to start - working way past midnight in a big open space with some of the best music of the early and mid-80's blasting away.

Fast forward a few decades to the hangar where our airplane project is taking shape. Up on a shelf, covered in towels to protect from dust and bird droppings, is our old Panasonic home theatre audio system. It can still play CDs but for some reason won't play DVDs so it was banished to the hangar. Old technology, but it works, and works amazingly well to fill a 36x40 hangar. The big sub-woofer really helps punch through and fill the space with sound. I was going to toss this thing in the e-recycling a couple of years ago and am darned glad I didn't. For this reason I'd strongly recommend shopping the "used and dirt cheap" market for a sound system.

And now for the really wonky part... My kids, in their early 20's, are actually envious of the sound in the hangar. Who would'a figured that would ever happen?!?!

Do you have wi fi available?

If so, try an Amazon Echo.

Not only amazing sound, but lots of info just by asking. Need to know kilogram to pound conversion? just ask Akexa. MM to inches.....just ask. Etc.

Go to the local pawn shop and pick up the cheapest, biggest set you care to lug home. And don't look at the tool selection without some serious self control.

Pawn shops seem to only be good for old electronics, beat tools, music instruments, and ex-fiance's rings. But you're looking for for old electronics, so....

Isn't a new radio for a hangar against a man rule somewhere??

Andy

Speaker

I was in Home Depot and GE has 4 foot LED lights with speakers built in on each end of light I would guess Blue tooth.
Bob

Amazon Echo

I also have an Amazon Echo connected into a Bose book shelf stereo Radio unit. Have to yell at Alexa sometimes to change the music or ask questions but overall works really neat. Now I need to workout my aircraft spruce ordering profile.

Back