What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My New IOX-370

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Proud to present my new engine, a Titan IOX-370 with 8.3:1 piston, AFP injector and dual P-Mags:

engine.jpg

It made 191 hp on the dyno and will work well with my Catto 3-blade prop. Can't wait to get it and get started on FWF!

That is a nice looking motor

I like the red cases and black cylinders. Mine is just grey and I wish I had chosen to get a decent paint job like yours. Hope it works out well for you.
Cheers

why did you go with 8.3:1 compression?

191hp on a base dyno run is good, what is your broken-in HP estimate/target?

why did you go with 8.3:1 compression?

191hp on a base dyno run is good, what is your broken-in HP estimate/target?
There is a 4 hp difference between the 9.0:1 and the 8.3:1. I think it's generally accepted that the lower compression will extend the engine life a little, and it gives me the ability to burn mogas if 100LL becomes scarce. I couldn't go too far with the HP because I'm running a Catto FP prop and it's set up for a max of 195hp. Personally, I like the idea of a larger displacement engine loafing a little than the idea of running a smaller engine harder to get the same HP.

Parts List

Proud to present my new engine, a Titan IOX-370 with 8.3:1 piston, AFP injector and dual P-Mags:

engine.jpg

It made 191 hp on the dyno and will work well with my Catto 3-blade prop. Can't wait to get it and get started on FWF!

Mark,

Did you get a parts list with your engine? I have an IO-375 I bought from Aero Sport Power back in 2010 built with ECI parts. Mine uses AEL75413 pistons to yield an 8.0 compression ratio. I'm curious what pistons are used to get the 8.3 in your engine. I'd be interested to look at your parts list if you have one and wouldn't mind sharing.

Exactly what I have on order except the color (I chose pewter). I am going to observe the build next week. I chose the 8.3 for future proofing with lower octane fuel too.

Seeing yours makes me very excited to see mine.

Are you observing in San Antonio? I did this right after labor day. Bobby Looper built my engine. Awesome experience!

My engine also a 370, but counterweighted, high compression pistons, and EFII. Mine was 207 on the dyno.

Yes I will be going to San Antonio. I think mine will be nearly the last built in San Antonio. I originally wanted delivery in November but they could not do that and have me observe. The first slots for observing in Alabama were "after the beginning of the year." In fact, if they weren't in the process of moving I probably wouldn't have gone to observe. Although, I think it will be a good and educational experience.

Yes, Fairhope, AL. Here is there response to my concerns about the move...

I wouldn?t worry about the engines being built in Fairhope. They are already overhauling Lycoming engines over there at Continental Motors Services (formerly Mattituck Services which was established in the 1940?s) and have been working on them for a very long time. As you know, almost every part in our Titan experimental engines is a certified PMA Lycoming part, so this will not be something new for them. However, many of our engineers and mechanic consultants will be going to Alabama to make this transition as smooth as is possible. We are either assembling engines and running them in in advance here for engines scheduled through the end of the year or putting together the kits and shipping them to Fairhope for assembly and run-in there. They have already been doing some work for us over there as well. The Continental warranty stands behind all of our engines and our level of quality will remain as it always has. We have very thorough processes and checks and balances for everything that we do in assembling and running in our engines, and those same processes will be followed in Fairhope, AL at Continental Motor Services.

New IO370 also...

Hi guys, I just got an email a few days ago that my IO370 was complete. Hasn't been run yet, supposed to be later this week. Pewter case/black cylinders. Counterweighted, 9.6 comp, Pmags. Should be a fun one.

Anyone flying one already with a pirep? Interested to hear others experience so far. Titan was very easy to work with. Talked with them at OSH and ordered the next week. It's going on an RV8. Pics if they work....

IO370Frt_zpszqa3tbtt.jpg

IO370left_zps6lvjfn3t.jpg

Beautiful....! Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake that I did after taking delivery of the bright and shiny new engine.

There it was....on the garage floor still in the crate with the top off. I was just drooling a little when the wife walked out and saw it. She says..."So that's your new engine?" I reply...."Yeah, and it only cost as much as a small car!"

She promptly left the garage......

Oops....

Beautiful....! Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake that I did after taking delivery of the bright and shiny new engine.

There it was....on the garage floor still in the crate with the top off. I was just drooling a little when the wife walked out and saw it. She says..."So that's your new engine?" I reply...."Yeah, and it only cost as much as a small car!"

She promptly left the garage......

Oops....
See, that's where you made a mistake. My new OX-340 was FREE! Yeppers, I didn't pay a cent for it.

But it came in a crate with a reallllly expensive ECI hat....:eek:
8906467182_ebe0459c92_z.jpg

Expensive hat!

Thanks, can't wait to get this thing flying. Funny story, I heard those hats that come with a free engine are very expensive.

Mine ended up on the dyno at 202.2HP. I'll take it.

Robert

Back