What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Roll Servo Installation

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing my roll servo. As I started through the drawing provided by Trutrak they show drilling a hole in the bellcrank, WD-421-R-PC. When I looked at my bellcrank it already has a hole and rivet holes for a nut plate. Now I'm wondering what is the correct approach. Should I just drill a through hole and use the bolt / locknut as supplied by Trutrak or should I mount a platenut since the bellcrank appears to be setup for that approach. Comments from the group would be appreciated as I mull over my decision. I think I'm leaning toward the Trutrak method.

I'm also working on the safety wiring of the servo mounting bolts. This is the first time I've done this, but I have the tools, wire and ready to take a shot at it. In other posts it is suggested to wire all 3 bolts together as one option. Using this approach sounds fine to me, but I'm not sure of the path from the 2 bolts to the third on the backside of the servo. Any pictures would be helpful. It seems that the safety wire will be near the path of the pushrod in this approach.

I hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving.

Well too many people are snoozing after eating turkey I guess. I went ahead and tried the safety wiring. See my attached pics.

2e4lu7d.jpg

drfnd3.jpg

I think its ok like this. Comments?

Well too many people are snoozing after eating turkey I guess. I went ahead and tried the safety wiring. See my attached pics.

drfnd3.jpg

Looks like this one is safetied in the wrong direction.

2e4lu7d.jpg

Also, on the left bolt, the twisted pair that leads upward should originate at the bottom hole on the bolt head. In other words, the twisted pair should come in to one end of the drill hole, and leave from the other end of the drill hole.

Hard to describe in words! :eek:

Pete, It actually does but it's hard to see from the angle of the pic.

I watched a few videos and re-did it a few times. The placement of the bolts near the flange makes it difficult to get the ideal arrangement of twists. I definately need mire practice but I think it's ok now.

Hi Ray,
Dont forget your AC43-13. Section 7-19, paragraph 7-122 is the beginning and it is all about safteying and many of the various scenarios you run into. I've referred to it every time I have to wire something. There are lots of helpful diagrams with examples.

Van's revised bellcrank part

Van's recently revised their bellcrank part to have the hole pre-drilled for a nut plate. If you look at the Dynon Avionics servo installation guide you will see it has been updated to reflect this. Just use the hole supplied by Van's and you will be fine.

Back