What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912 ULS carb rebuild

climberrn

Well Known Member
How difficult of a job is it to overhaul the carbs and change the bubbler parts? The engine only has 280 hours on it, but is about 15 years old. Wanted to go through and make sure those are up to standards, in addition to changing all the rubber hoses prior to getting it in the air again.

912 not on an RV, but taking the -7A out for a flight tomorrow to keep this RV related!

I found the 912 carbs to be very basic and easy to work on. There is a ton of factory information and videos regarding the carbs on the Rotax-Owner's site. YouTube also has numerous videos regarding the operation and maintenance of similar Bing carbs as typically used on BMW motorcycles. Be aware that the 912 carbs and the BMW carbs have some differences but are also similar in many respects.

It didn’t look too hard. I subscribed to the Rotax Owners site a few months ago. Checked with Lockwood, and the overhaul price was much more than expecting. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the price is more than you would expect. But they overhaul carbs everyday (I don't) and they have all the tools and solvents. Plus they install all the running modifications so your carbs reflect the current production.

I send mine to LEAF every 5 years. Spreading $500 over 5 years is $10/month or $5/hr if you fly 100 hours/year. I find it worthwhile and comforting to know my carbs are properly serviced.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
Rotax 914 1100 hours

I run a bing carbie in a Corby Starlet. They are not difficult to work on but I have had some problems which I still haven't fixed. Setting the float level is finicky, but eventually it was done
My problem is with the starting enrichment system. I was getting high fuel consumption and sooty plugs.
It seems that all the experts here in Australia consider that system to be foolproof and never touch it. I removed the system from the side of the carbie and all I could find wrong was a broken gasket. I can't buy one locally so I made one and it may have fixed the problem. I still have to test fly it.
I would consider that if you are reasonably capable you should be able to overhaul a Bing, but there are lots of experts and few who seem to know what they are doing.

Back