What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To twist, or not to twist?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Got some single runs of 2 wires (OAT sensor,etc.) one manual says to twist and it will make a stronger run, other manual says DON'T twist, it will weaken the wires, instead tie them up. Only problem is tying them up makes for a bulky bundle of 2 wires.

Thoughts?

TIA

Last edited:
I would twist the wires. Twisted wires are less susceptible to noise.
Twisting wires will not weaken them unless they are twisted too tightly.

Got some single runs of 2 wires (OAT sensor,etc.) one manual says to twist and it will make a stronger run, other manual says DON'T twist, it will weaken the wires, instead tie them up. Only problem is tying them up makes for a bulky bundle of 2 wires.

Thoughts?

TIA

I am installing the wiring using Dynon avionics. The only non-shielded wires the Dynon insist on twisting are serial data wires for its network cable. The rest of the wires are straight. Dynon OAT wires are straight from the factory.

Twist

I always twist power and ground. Data wires are usually twisted but if not, I twist them.

If you don’t want to twist, you can always sleeve. Bought two spools of the nylon snake skin sleeve and secured the ends with shrink wrap. Also bought heat resistant for FWF, it is identified by a white strand woven in. Makes for a very clean install!

Thoughts?

TIA

It's been mentioned here in a previous post but I'll perhaps add a little emphasis... Twisting wires together has little to do with their physical strength and everything to do with their electrical properties. By twisting them together one achieves something referred to in the EMI/RFI world as "common mode rejection".

In simple terms, common mode rejection allows the two twisted wires to act together so that noise on the wires is effectively cancelled by the other wire. It's why our headset cables use Mil-C-27500 "twisted, shielded" wire. The wires twisted together form a strong tool to prevent electrical noise from manifesting as audible noise in the headset.

For signals like OAT, twisting the wires helps provide a more stable signal for interpretation by the digital hardware at the other end.

There's no sense in twisting so tight that one might damage the wires... It's surprising how little twist it takes to make an improvement in noise reduction. Even a couple of twists per inch is a big help.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to educamate me. John, I was surprised how much the wires shortened when they were twisted.

[engage: Peter Falk voice]
One more question, if I may, sir, just one more question.]
[/revert: normal pilot/wannabe mechanic voice]

If twisting 2 wires going to the same destination is good, why not do that for all (i.e., wires going to various switches) before lacing them into one big bundle? Is it because of the bulk that would result from lacing a bunch of twisted 2 wires runs together?

TIA

Last edited:
K
If twisting 2 wires going to the same destination is good, why not do that for all (i.e., wires going to various switches) before lacing them into one big bundle? Is it because of the bulk that would result from lacing a bunch of twisted 2 wires runs together?
TIA

As you noted, twisting wires results in ‘shortening’ the pair, so you need more wire. More weight, more money. So it’s generally only done for circuits which are sensitive to noise pick-up. Audio mike circuits, yes. Landing light circuits, no. Unless your landing lights use a pulsed LED driver that can radiate noise. Then no becomes yes.

As you noted, twisting wires results in ‘shortening’ the pair, so you need more wire. More weight, more money. So it’s generally only done for circuits which are sensitive to noise pick-up. Audio mike circuits, yes. Landing light circuits, no. Unless your landing lights use a pulsed LED driver that can radiate noise. Then no becomes yes.

Thanks Bob, makes sense. It's surprising how fast a little extra wire here and there adds up to a lot of weight.

It's surprising how fast a little extra wire here and there adds up to a lot of weight.

Not sure if it is acceptable to quote Burt Rutan here but.... for those that haven't heard it... The test to know if a part is too heavy for an aircraft is to toss it into the air. If it comes down, it's too heavy.

Back