What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where does one source a special parking permit for an aircraft?

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Visited Ocean City NJ (26N) for breakfast this morning and saw this painted on one of the aircraft tie downs. First time I've ever seen one on a ramp. I've not come across too many pilots who after passing an FAA medical, would need special parking, but someone must think its needed.

Where does one source and where would one displace an "aircraft parking permit for people with disabilities"? Haven't seen too many rear view mirrors on GA aircraft. Does the FAA issue these now?

j93iv4.jpg

I would say if you have a permit for your car, you would be justified using it for your airplane. As long as your plane is equipped for you to fly and you pass your medical - or fly LSA, go for it! I knew a guy missing a leg with an Ercoupe that flew all over the country. It is interesting and I have never seen the markings either.

Wheelchair Aviators

Google wheelchair aviators. I would guess that Ocean City has at least one regular visitor who uses that tiedown.
Douglas Bader was a British military pilot pre WWII, who lost both legs as a result of an airplane accident. He went on to fly Hurricanes?? during WWII with artificial legs. He was not in a wheelchair.
Gone for a number of years, but there was a wheelchair pilot who flew all over the world in a Piper Commanche.

I would say if you have a permit for your car, you would be justified using it for your airplane. As long as your plane is equipped for you to fly and you pass your medical - or fly LSA, go for it! I knew a guy missing a leg with an Ercoupe that flew all over the country. It is interesting and I have never seen the markings either.

An exceptional lady, Jessica Cox, is in the Tucson area and obtained her license in an Ercoupe. She was born with no arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Cox

An exceptional lady, Jessica Cox, is in the Tucson area and obtained her license in an Ercoupe. She was born with no arms.

And Jessica Cox is exactly the kind of woman who would never park in a handicapped spot for an auto or an airplane. If I am wrong about that I am no judge of people at all.

On the other hand, my town is full of young fit people born with four limbs who don't mind at all parking in those spots.

Have to post his, even if it isn't at all related. I know a guy who lost a leg in a motorcycle accident, and just after getting a temp, he went shopping. Seeing a handicapped spot, he thought he should qualify. On getting out of the car, a woman started, "Young man, this is for handicapped people, and it takes a lot of nerve..." He calmly reached down, turned his foot around backwards, and said, "There, is that handicapped enough for you?"

(Aviation related comment) Come to think of it, I do think he flies a nosewheel.

Bob

Could be for handicapped passengers..........
Maybe even Angel Flights would qualify?

I agree. Most pilots are either fit or too proud. And seeing a designated spot like this on an apron leads me to believe it will be legitimately used. Not like the typical parking lots where the fat and lazy adorn.

Could be for handicapped passengers..........
Maybe even Angel Flights would qualify?

I agree, I think a handicapped passenger (with wheelchair, crutches, etc.) would appreciate a parking spot closer to the FBO or terminal building.

Also, I seem to remember an RV-6 pilot who had hand controls for rudder and wheel brakes due to leg injury or disease. Carl somebody and I think he was in Colorado. That was a long time ago. But like n51p said about Jessica Cox, he probably would not have used a special tie-down spot.

Wheelchair Pilot

The Commanche pilot I posted about was Donald "Rode" Rodewald(1918-2002) He was the first wheelchair pilot to fly solo around the world in his Commanche.

Thumbs up

It is too bad some here with oversized egos take a thread about war heros and those who may have a disability and still are able to fly and turn it into this. I guess zero is a good choice of a name to post under.

I have been handicapped for 30 years. A long time ago a young man, who knew he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life told me, "some people's handicaps are not visible". I will use a legal handicap spot because it saves me and often others a lot of time. Good jokes are always welcome, some are better than others.
Happy Landings,

Back