What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Idea for OSH

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
I have an idea that it might be time for a new ordering of the flight line at OSH. For first time builders and new people coming to OSH, it can get really confusing, and I think there is a missed opportunity to showcase all that aviation has to offer.

So here's the idea. Right where you enter the show flightline under the arch there could be two signs, one to the left and one to the right. One will say "You build 'em and You fly "em" and the other would say "We build 'em and You fly 'em".
Then the respective sides would start the displays from simplest to most complicated. As an example, on the "You build 'em" side there would be a display starting with the simplest of kits, from ELSA or even powered parachutes, with a model from each kit provider perhaps, all with signs that are standardized with data such as cost, time to build, number flying, etc, continuing all the way up to the Epic. It would be a walk through all of the possibilities for aspiring aviators, and even for those looking for the next project. It could even be educational for those not interested in building but want to understand.
The "We build 'em You Fly 'em" (AKA production built) would start the same way, with Light Sport at the beginning, all the way up to Jets and turbo props, again with each one showing costs, performance, etc.

In each of these walks there would only be one sample of each aircraft from each exhibitor with no sales people, other than information on where to get more info or to see the exhibitor on the grounds. Van's and others such as Monnet, Rans, Etc would have multiple samples in the various progression, as would Cessna/Piper/Mooney, etc, but most likely they would not be bunched together.
And they could be customer-built examples.

Sound like a good idea? I know I could get really excited about seeing a display such as this, and I'm betting there is a whole generation of people who would love to see it as well.

Imagine the excitement it could create in helping people realize the opportunities in aviation in an Organized manner! While I think there is a place for things like the Prescott Pusher and Saberwing, I don't think they should be right inside the front gate as the first things people see. They aren't really representative of real opportunities.

Fire away!

Vic

Last edited:
And/or how about an app (or device) that talked and guided people interactively rather than physical signs? Like used in a museum.

Last edited:
App/Tour

I like the app tour concept.

Might use more shoe leather, and might go all over the place, but if the presenters know that I'm on track 1 step D they can tailor the discussion, or have it pre recorded.

Really cool idea!

I like the App

I like the app idea. Each aircraft could have one of those little black squares that you point your iphone to and it could download anything the manufacturer desired. :)

Vic

My idea for Oshkosh is an addition to the NOTAM that has people on 122.75 at Green Lake to Ripon, changing to the Fisk Approach frequency at Pickett, by which time we're kinda sorted out.

EAA HQ, Are you reading this?

I like the app idea. Each aircraft could have one of those little black squares that you point your iphone to and it could download anything the manufacturer desired. :)

Vic

I like this idea. I hope the folks at EAA HQ are visiting this thread. I think you guys are on the right track.

My idea for Oshkosh is an addition to the NOTAM that has people on 122.75 at Green Lake to Ripon, changing to the Fisk Approach frequency at Pickett, by which time we're kinda sorted out.

Bob, I like your idea, too, although I must admit I've solved that problem for me personally by arriving at RIPON at 7:00 AM. It's amazing how easy it is to fly the procedure when there's nobody else in the air from RIPON all the way to touchdown at KOSH. :) But I do remember that you sometimes commute during the day from home, so that wouldn't always work for you.

One suggestion: Green Lake is west of RIPON, so maybe something more generic like "Within 15 minutes of RIPON, monitor 122.75" would be better. Hopefully everyone wouldn't step on each other. But waiting until Pickett to change to Fisk Approach Frequency is too late, IMO.

For reference, the 2015 procedure reads like this:

"Obtain Arrival ATIS (125.9) no later than 15 miles from Ripon and note arrival runways in use. Have NOTAM arrival pages mentioned on ATIS available. Then monitor Fisk Approach (120.7)."

Last edited:
Having your plane judged means you're typically standing there most of the day Monday-Friday waiting for judges (and chatting up other builders). I think it would be nice to also see some of the rest of the show. Why not judge planes in order of arrival? Most judges I spoke to said they see about 40-50 planes a day. Give them a list in order of arrival and let them run down that list...instead of making the poor gents search the grounds every day for planes with green stickers that are not signed yet. Perhaps I'm being simplistic but by the end of the week...standing next to the plane gets old. It would be nice to know which day, or narrow it down to two days..in which you are likely to see the judges. 5 days standing in the sun is exhausting.

I say all of this for the benefit of others, as I think my plane has risen as far as it can...and I'll likely bring the camper next year instead of the plane. I do have a few modifications in mind though....so perhaps not. I do enjoy meeting all the builders and discussing the how's and why's...

The app ideas presented earlier are excellent.

Last edited:
Having your plane judged means you're typically standing there most of the day Monday-Friday waiting for judges (and chatting up other builders). I think it would be nice to also see some of the rest of the show. Why not judge planes in order of arrival? Most judges I spoke to said they see about 40-50 planes a day. Give them a list in order of arrival and let them run down that list...instead of making the poor gents search the grounds every day for planes with green stickers that are not signed yet. Perhaps I'm being simplistic but by the end of the week...standing next to the plane gets old. It would be nice to know which day, or narrow it down to two days..in which you are likely to see the judges. 5 days is exhausting.

I say all of this for the benefit of others, as I think my plane has risen as far as it can...and I'll likely bring the camper next year instead of the plane. I do have a few modifications in mind though....so maybe not :)
Hey Bill, If you are going to play the game, you are going to have to put in the time. :p

No seriously though, I found out quickly I do not have the patience to go through the torture of building everything as perfectly as I could and then have the further torture of standing around endlessly waiting for judges to show up. There are too many other things to enjoy at OSH for me to go through the long hours of waiting for someone to critique my build.

Congratulations on your awards.

I can attest to the fact that you don't have to stand around and wait for the judges at all. Just walk away and they'll do their thing.

I like this idea. I hope the folks at EAA HQ are visiting this thread. I think you guys are on the right track.

Bob, I like your idea, too, although I must admit I've solved that problem for me personally by arriving at RIPON at 7:00 AM. It's amazing how easy it is to fly the procedure when there's nobody else in the air from RIPON all the way to touchdown at KOSH. :) But I do remember that you sometimes commute during the day from home, so that wouldn't always work for you.

One suggestion: Green Lake is west of RIPON, so maybe something more generic like "Within 15 minutes of RIPON, monitor 122.75" would be better. Hopefully everyone wouldn't step on each other. But waiting until Pickett to change to Fisk Approach Frequency is too late, IMO.

For reference, the 2015 procedure reads like this:

"Obtain Arrival ATIS (125.9) no later than 15 miles from Ripon and note arrival runways in use. Have NOTAM arrival pages mentioned on ATIS available. Then monitor Fisk Approach (120.7)."

Not exactly HQ but there are Board Members that "listen" and "read" here.

And some of us even fly RV's! :)

Now, I must admit, I am not sure what problem we are trying to solve here as I have flown in solo and multiship (even with Rosie years ago!!) and the "get ATIS, monitor frequency fff" seemed to have worked ok.

Now in an RV a few miles out, things come up rather fast until you get slowed down to 90kts (or 135 kts if you choose).

James

Now in an RV a few miles out, things come up rather fast until you get slowed down to 90kts (or 135 kts if you choose).

Now that's a whole different thread!

Arrive at Ripon at 90 knots and 1,800? (or maximum cruising speed if less than 90 knots). If unable, 135 knots and 2,300?.

Every RV is capable of safely flying 90 knots. It sure would be nice if we could get the NOTAM amended to allow the upper, 135 knot path for faster aircraft so that it could clear out the lower, slower path a bit more.

Vic,

I can tell you that some version of this idea was kicked around a few years ago by the Homebuilt Aircraft Council. There are more than a few challenges to it, not the least of which is that most folks do not enter the flightline via the brown arch (like they did in the good old days) and that the real estate around the arch is used to showcase particular types which changes year to year. The logical place for such a display (and the area discussed) was back around the Homebuilder's Hangar in the former NASA building. The plan included demo'ing several of the old buildings in that area (the first is already gone) to make more room for this. This whole plan was set back several years due to the turnover in leadership, but is far from dead.

Wonderful!

Don't let it die again! There has to be a way to focus the point of OSH to everyone, but especially for those who are trying to enter the game. We were all there once. :)

Vic

Back