What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Touch Screen PFDs?

Echo Tango

Well Known Member
Other than Garmin, have any "experimental" PFDs/EFISs been released?

Seems like the big next step, but I haven't seen or heard of any aimed at the experimental market yet.

Old News!

Banner-SkyView-12-Introduction.jpg

Advanced Flight Systems
AF-5800_tab.png

Last edited:
Slight thread drift...

Having flown behind the 430W and the GTN-650, I personally do not like the touch screen. In anything other than smooth air, I hit the wrong touch screen button too often. I also find that I can manipulate real buttons while dividing my attention to the outside; but the touch screens require me to stare at the panel for too long (maybe I'm not practiced enough yet?).

Having flown behind the 430W and the GTN-650, I personally do not like the touch screen. In anything other than smooth air, I hit the wrong touch screen button too often. I also find that I can manipulate real buttons while dividing my attention to the outside; but the touch screens require me to stare at the panel for too long (maybe I'm not practiced enough yet?).

I've thought of this argument myself, but in my opinion, it's the future. I think the functionality and quick navigation (2 clicks versus several rotary inputs) more than makes up for the increased attention over a shorter period of time.

I mean, nobody really gripes about having an iPad onboard, do they? ;)

Last edited:
Old News!

Banner-SkyView-12-Introduction.jpg

Advanced Flight Systems
AF-5800_tab.png

hrmmm those seem kind of like a hybrid slap-a-touch-screen-on-it solution versus the garmin which seems purpose-built for touching. (i'm not a garmin fan and their pilot app makes me want to punch kittens).

however, the garmin has hand supports for turbulent air, and a very limited number of rotary switches and buttons. looking for something much simpler. these are just face-value observations, as i haven't used either of the systems you've posted (obviously), but they seem afraid to commit to the touch screen.

Garmin%20GTN%20750.jpg

Touchscreen Useability

I have a different opinion than Bob.

I've flown with the AFS touchscreen EFIS as well as the GTN650. Like most things, once you get used the changes, it's pretty easy to use.

I've flown in light to moderate turbulence. Using the finger rests, the touch screens aren't that difficult to use.

If it gets too bumpy, just resort to the knobs and buttons which are still there too.

bob

It takes some time to get used to it Bob. I have found that I sometimes get in turbulence out here in the west that is annoying enough that I can't even grab KNOBS reliably....and yes, that can make touch a little difficult. A well-designed touchscreen system will not require you to do critical functions solely with touch - most have button-pushing backups.

We've been flying with the GTN 650 out here for about a year, and haven't had any real problems - just takes getting used to. We've been using the big Touch screen EFIS in our RV-6 now for a few weeks, and are making peace with that as well.

Sort of like in-ear headsets - many people hate them for the first couple of hours - then they suddenly click and are no longer a problem.

BTW, you can add the Tru Trak Gemini as having touch elements, and I THINK that MGL has a touchscreen as well - the industry is definitely going that way. All still pretty new however, so we'll see how people really like them after a couple of years.

A previous poster mentioned something about the wave of the future. Modern fighters are able to make screen selections using HOTAS buttons on the stick and throttle controlling a curser on each screen, very similar to operating a mouse with a computer. Maybe a bit beyond what's needed in a homebuilt, but the capability and flexibility aids in maintaining control of the aircraft while rapidly making selections. Menu select buttons on the perimeter of each screen like what Skyview has are still there, but the slewable curser is fast and easy. Obviously, it requires an interface between the throttle and the EFIS adding to the complexity of the avionics suite, but this technology is 40+ years old. Having personally flown with this capability, I would buy and incorporate it in a heartbeat if it were available today.

J. Baker
RV8 Finishing

IFD540

Like our AF-5000 EFIS, the Avidyne IFD540 has both buttons and touch-screen controls, including multi-touch.

16487502001_bbf47ab480_b.jpg

Both of the RV-14 training aircraft (Mike Seager & Alex DeDominicis) will have the IFD540. I fly both the GTN650 and IFD540 and find the FMS style interface and side buttons of the IFD540 far more intuitive. I use the touch-screens on the EFIS and IFD almost exclusively, but on those rare occasions that it's too turbulent, I use the side buttons. Since AFS started offering the IFD540 as an option in the Advanced Quick panels, it has become the popular choice.

This is our new Autopilot Touch-Screen Interface. Notice that all of the touch icons also have dedicated side buttons.
16726240801_6e037824f9_c.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. - A Dynon Avionics Company
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
The MGL IEFIS line has touch screen functions that can be duplicated on the buttons. I'm liking the dual Challenger setup I've got running.

Echo Tango,
In your comparison above you are comparing the physical characteristics of the Garmin 750 with the Dynon Skyview and the Advanced EFIS. It would be best to compare the Garmin G3X Touch with the Dynon and Advanced EFIS.

Does anyone have an idea how the Avidyne IFD540 is going to stand as a product ?? Seems to me that it has taken a very long time for them to release this product since their announcement of it, which has caused doubt about the company and product.
That said, to me it looks as though they have taken the very best approach by using both touch-screen and knobs for input. Not sure about their screen graphics.

Back