What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ebay Avionics Checks - Yellow Tag ?

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm curious about buying avionics off of Ebay. If I buy something off of Ebay and I want to make sure it really is fully operational what is the best way to go about that? Ideally I'd like to end up with yellow tags for these items. How much does it cost to just have an audio panel or a transponder checked out? Any suggested shops either in the bay area or San Diego? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best thing to do is have the seller ship it directly to your avionics shop with the understanding that if they test it and there's a problem, the seller will take it back. I've done this a couple times with no problems. If the seller is legit, they won't mind at all.

You've been given some good advice, but as someone who has sold and bought a bunch of stuff online over the years, I'll add my usual 2 cents! Here's a few things I consider absolutes:

1) Check the seller feedback. If it's not high 90's of %, then move on.
2) Check the seller history. If this is their first listing/sale, then move on.
3) NEVER, EVER, EVER agree to pay via something like Western Union/Moneygram. Always use something like Paypal or a Credit Card.
4) If the seller is a company, are they a certified shop or a dealer of respectable brands? There are plenty of good companies who sell avionics on the internet (I just bought a bose headset from Pacific Coast on eBay, because I know without any doubt they are a good outfit).
5) Is it shipping from the US/Canada/WesternEurope? Avoid avionics shipped from Asia...they are often times stolen.
6) If it's too good to be true, it probably is. If someone is selling an "almost new" 430 with no tray/backplate/connector/antenna for $1000, then there is a good chance it's also hot.
7) Ask for the serial number, then call the mfgr to check and see if it's good. Many of them keep a list of reported stolen units. Also, if you can find any sort of history from the seller (like a recent upgrade), that will shed some insight into the condition of the unit.

Buying from individuals can be just fine, but I've also seen some absolute horror stories. We often times have received goods customers bought on eBay, only to have to tell them they are absolute garbage. That said, sometimes you can also end up with a great deal as well.

If you follow the advice given, then you can end up with some OK deals...but realize that the good deals end up selling for exactly market price. If they go for much less than normal market price, then there is likely "something" weird with them.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I purchased a couple of items for my planes via eBay. I bought a TKM MX-300 to replace the ancient Cessna RT-328 radio someone else installed. The MX-300 was purchased via eBay from an Avionics shop in North Dakota who had performed a customer upgrade and had the unit for sale. It came with an 8130-3. Additionally, it was guaranteed not to be DOA by the seller so long as I had it checked with my local avionics guy on arrival. My local shop didn't even charge me for it, despite making a minor tweak on it to improve alignment (or something like that).

I think the advice immediately above is very sound. I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1997 and I've been burned once, but PayPal reimbursed me for the seller's failure to deliver.

Back