What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new book: Manifesto by Busch

prkaye

Well Known Member
Have any of you read the new book called "Manifesto" by Mike Busch? I just ordered it through Amazon.

Excellent read. Excellent way to operate an airplane IMHO.

His thoughts on liability seem spot on. Sure love my EXPERIMENTAL!

I looked at the first few pages - Waddington effect. This gets proven repeatedly in industry. I performed a study on main bearing failures on 200 field engines. A complete study of maintenance and operation records. It showed that preventive replacement made the engine population 3x more likely to have a failure than if left alone. No disrespect to RocketBob, but having hundreds of different mechanics do the replacements yielded a more contaminated environment than existed from the factory where such things were much more controlled, or at least known. Caution: Each failure mode must be taken on it's own, so don't extend this to all failure.

I will be looking at this book, it seems to bring together some general concepts that don't often get collected and published.

For such a technologically advanced group, what are you all doing ordering paper copies via snail mail? :D

$10 on Kindle, I read it in a day. It's kind of just a really in depth summary of his last few years of articles and webinars but very informative.

It's interesting all the research behind maintenance induced failures. I have a number of friends that are Frogmen (Navy SEALs), and members of various other teams. They take the same approach with a lot of their weaponry for any of you gun nuts. They'll run a gun to failure before dismantling and cleaning it. They've found over the years that they had a lot more malfunctions and failures with repeated cleaning/servicing than just operating to failure.

Variation

Working process improvement, I saw this first hand at engine shop at airline. The variation introduced when maintenance was performed was a significant driver and very difficult for those of us old timers to fully comprehend. Old school feelings says more maintenance = more reliability. Data said otherwise. R/R a component should be a simple task. More often than not, something gets broke, something get forgotten, something gets dirty, and the next thing you know you are fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with. In a perfect world, this should not occur. However, humans are the biggest sources of variation to process. However, no maintenance is not good either. So, the biggest challenge is finding that perfect middle ground to minimize cost and maximize reliability.
cj

I looked at the first few pages - Waddington effect. This gets proven repeatedly in industry. I performed a study on main bearing failures on 200 field engines. A complete study of maintenance and operation records. It showed that preventive replacement made the engine population 3x more likely to have a failure than if left alone. No disrespect to RocketBob, but having hundreds of different mechanics do the replacements yielded a more contaminated environment than existed from the factory where such things were much more controlled, or at least known. Caution: Each failure mode must be taken on it's own, so don't extend this to all failure.

I will be looking at this book, it seems to bring together some general concepts that don't often get collected and published.

For such a technologically advanced group, what are you all doing ordering paper copies via snail mail? :D

You're seriously asking this of a bunch of guys who run carbureted Lycomings?

:D

::ducks for cover::

Last edited:
Lycosaurs

I'm 62... just 10 years older than my narrow deck 0-320. Old engines and aluminum airplanes are great. Wouldn't dream of working on the wife's Honda, but me and the plane understand each other. We're obsolete but still useful at times.

John

You're seriously asking this of a bunch of guys who run carbureted Lycomings?

:D

::ducks for cover::

2609118281_33ef3b76f0.jpg

Working process improvement, I saw this first hand at engine shop at airline. The variation introduced when maintenance was performed was a significant driver and very difficult for those of us old timers to fully comprehend. Old school feelings says more maintenance = more reliability. Data said otherwise. R/R a component should be a simple task. More often than not, something gets broke, something get forgotten, something gets dirty, and the next thing you know you are fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with. In a perfect world, this should not occur. However, humans are the biggest sources of variation to process. However, no maintenance is not good either. So, the biggest challenge is finding that perfect middle ground to minimize cost and maximize reliability.
cj

I've seen the issue with mandatory annual inspections of certified aircraft.

They go in with no problems and come out with problems caused by something being disassembled, inspected and not reassembled properly - like the entire airplane.

If an aircraft fly's 35 hours does it really need a typical Part 43 annual inspection or does the process cause more harm than good?

From another author...

A couple of related "engine" books by iconoclast Kas Thomas. I bought them years ago and find them useful. I don't agree with everything but then again I don't agree with Busch 100% either. Both books are available at Amazon.
1. 101+ ways to Extend the Life of Your Engine
2. Fly the Engine

As an aside Kas was the former editor of the now defunt "TBO Advisor" publication.

If an aircraft fly's 35 hours does it really need a typical Part 43 annual inspection or does the process cause more harm than good?

I agree completely however the regs are the regs, and reality "is what it is." That said there are a lot of older airplanes flying that get a cursory look over and unbelievably bad issues get glanced over. I kid you not I replaced a fuel line hose to the carb on a Champ that was a piece of washing machine water line clamped with hose clamps.

Back