What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Co-pilot can't hear ATC

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Need some help, hopefully someone else has figured this one out under similar circumstances.

Configuration:
Garmin GMA340 Audio Panel
Garmin GNS430W Navigator

With both pilot and copilot using Bose A20 headsets, everything comes through fine...sidetone, ATC, even music via the external input to the audio panel

When the pilot uses an A20, and the copilot uses a Bose X, the copilot cannot hear ATC or music; pilot can, loud and clear. Sidetone for both is fine.

What the...? I've messed with everything message on the panel and headsets, I think...everything is in stereo mode, squelch is good, I've twiddled and frobbed all the volume knobs (headset, 430, audio panel, XM receiver) to no avail.

Any help will be much appreciated and save me from trading in the "guest " Bose X headsets for another pair of A20s :).

Swap sides with the headsets, see if the problem follows the headset. You might have a headset problem, not an airplane wiring problem.

Sounds like you are configured in isolation mode.

It's been awhile since I've used a 340, but check to see if you haven't accidently turned on the isolation mode. I would refer back to the manual to see which features are available to which positions in the different modes.

Is intercom working between the pilot and the right seat?

Intercom is working fine between the two headsets. And I'll double-check the Pilot Isolate button...I didn't notice it being on, but I'll check it to be sure.

This does occur every time I have a passenger using the Bose X's, though, and not for the A20 for my regular co-pilot. BOTH types can hear me fine via intercom, but people using the X's always say they can barely hear ATC, while anyone using an A20 says they're loud and clear.

I'll swap the headset positions tonight, too. I'll muck around with them in various positions and such and see what more info I can get.

... but people using the X's always say they can barely hear ATC, while anyone using an A20 says they're loud and clear..

Sounds like a volume mismatch issue. Try turning the volume all the way up on the audio panel (left and right side), and all the way up on the headsets. If you hear everything, then start backing the volumes off until the levels are correct.

Back