What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Tahoe

swordtail

Well Known Member
I am planning a trip from PA to Lake Tahoe, Ca for Sept. I am looking for information from other that have made this trip or close to it. I have a 6A, o-360, C/S and a nagavator in the right seat.We have autopilot and O2, but I don't know where to cross the Rockies! Any info is appriciated.
Thanks in advance!
Stan N113SJ

There are lots of places to cross. Since I live in the vicinity, I generally cross at Corona Pass. This is immediately south of Rollins Pass, which is marked on the map. Rollins Pass is narrow and Corona Pass is a long straight ridge, easily identified. It's pretty much straight west of BJC airport, Rocky Mountain Metro.

From there, find a convenient course southwest and pick up the I-70 corridor.

The most important thing is the weather. It's best to fly the mountains in the morning on a day when the wind at 12k is less than 20 kts and the mountains aren't obscured.

Depending on when you go, you can get a Colorado airport directory and chart here: http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/aeronautics/request-form

Take your camera - it's beautiful.

Dave

Flying out and back from the Sac Valley and over Tahoe I mostly follow I-80. Gets you through at reasonable altitudes and always a great option in an emergency.
It also tends to be closer to the great circle route and is faster.

Coming from the east, I usually follow I-80 all the way past the Rockies, turn SW to Salt Lake City then on to Tahoe. From SLC west, stay on the victor airways to keep clear of the multiple restricted areas in Utah and Nevada.

Tahoe, nice....Reno......?

Tahoe in September......check

tickets for Air Races......???? Sept. 10 - 14, 2014

http://www.airrace.org/

just my opinion, the lake is gonna be there a while,
the races....you never know!

Last edited:
Tahoe in September......check

tickets for Air Races......???? Sept. 10 - 14, 2014

http://www.airrace.org/

just my opinion, the lake is gonna be there a while,
the races....you never know!

File a flight plan, whenever I've crossed the Rockies or the Sierras relying on Flight Following I've been dropped when I get into the mountains...:(

I'll be making the same trip in September. I just flew from San Francisco to Oshkosh to Pottstown pa via the norther route. I think I'll fly the southern route on the way back.

Stan,

The great circle from your neck o the woods to Tahoe takes you over Cheyenne, so as the others have said, the I-80 route is a good choice. That keeps you north of the higher Colorado Rockies and the Uintas and Wasatch in northern Utah. Oshkosh, NE is a good (cheap) fuel stop on the east side of the Rockies, and Logan or Brigham City, UT or Malad City or Preston, ID are good pit stops on the west side of that crossing, and there are good bail-into spots along 80 in Wyoming. Lots of RVers at Ogden too, if you need assistance in that area. West of Utah, I typically stay N of the restricted airspace (Dugway Proving Grounds, etc), and then head for Reno. This is how we planned and flew the RV-1, and the terrain is an easy cross along that path. Even in my plane, with O2, I typically stay N or S of the meat of the "14ers" in central CO. Just one technique. AM flying over the rocks is my MO too, FWIW.

Have fun, and when in Tahoe, holler over to us at Stead, or come for a visit, if it's not during the race TFR. And if your there during the races, come find the 7 RVers in the races this year! (Sport Class Hangar).

Safe trip...shout if you have any Q's enroute or while here!

Cheers,
Bob

Here's another vote for I080. As a matter of fact, we're sitting in Rawlins (WY) tonight on our way home from Oshkosh (got out late morning, no reason to push all the way in one day). Our home is about 15 miles as the crow flies from Tahoe, so the route is a natural. Lowest you'll find, good bailouts along the way. If you need fuel in eastern Nevada, stop at Wells - the "world's smallest FBO."

Tahoe

Thanks all for the responses I have received. I just could not get the nagavator to come along for the ride, so it will be American Airlines to Sacramento. I will still get to Reno for the races. I have to go to the local airport to check to level of RV activity.

Back