What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"internal" rudder stop?

n2b8r

any experience or opinions about a rudder stop that rests between the tines of the lowest rudder hinge? a design that came out of oshkosh a year or two ago (by whom i don't know) it contacts the forward spar of the rudder to accord it's limits.
i could imagine the shorter distance to contact might stress the lower rod end bearing more than the planned arrangement but ration that it is of increased size anyway (compared to the middle and upper examples).
my motivation to deviate from plans comes from discordance between originally drilled holes for the rudder stops and the flanges of two new aft bulkhead halfs now in place by repair. Distances to properly placed holes would be within edge distance restrictions of holes now in place so a doubler or redesign of the stop seem my only options.
gentlemen? your thoughts?
thanks in advance.
jeff hodgson
n377cp, kwvi

Info

I have one and have been 100% happy with it for 500 hours. It is clean and very effective. Only downside is that you cant use an external rudder lock (stainless U piece) that many use (I like the antisplat gust lock anyway).

I had the old blue print from the original designer somewhere (guy in europe if i recall), in fact I think I sent it to Craig who then made them for a period of time. If your up to fabing one yourself (umhv plastic/nylon material) its pretty simple.

You will be happy with it in my opinion.

I'm no engineer, but I suppose that it might add stress to the rod ends, but why step on the rudder pedals that hard!?

We carry these on our web store. They do require a bit of fitting and trimming, but are pretty close right out of the box.

I'm no engineer, but I suppose that it might add stress to the rod ends,

I am an engineer. Change that might to a will and you would be correct. By roughly 2x.

I know plenty of people are happy with them but no way will I fit them. I do not want to take any chances on one untimely gust on the rudder during a hamburger stop.

The suggested mod is very similar to the way the -10 is built. The -10 uses aluminum stops riveted onto the rudder hinge on the VS and hit against the rudder spar. They do, however, have a heavy aluminum plate on the rudder spar. You may want to add something like that for the stop to strike against. I wouldn't worry about the loads on e rod end or they wouldn't have done the -10 that way. A strike plate would be my recommendation along with the plastic piece.

Thanks

Thank you all for your candid, thoughtful and prompt replies. I drilled and bolted one on today which gives me 32 degrees of nicely stopped throw both port and starboard. Some very minor shaping will achieve full even contact and my antisplat gust lock will be assigned the protective role for that sneaky hamburger spoiler :)
Thanks again
Flyin soon
Jeff H
N377CP, KWVI

Back