What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Needed?

Opinion: Depends ...

Is it worth putting an autopilot in a RV9 used for VFR flying?

NEEDED??: Probably not
HELPFUL??: You betcha!

If you plan to fly on any trips, an autopilot comes in handy.

Auto-Necessary

I often commute 18 minutes, night and day. I set my lame ole Navaid as soon as it will hold my GPS course (usually takes a couple tries....) then sit back and enjoy the ride, scan the sky, monitor the frequencies for Travis Air Base, approach and tower (directly under me), traffic at Concord (several traffic choppers are active early), and enjoy some jazz while setting up a long straight in. Love my "Otto." :D
Aside from XM weather and radio I can't think of a better thing to have. You'll never regret an autopilot. I'll be improving mine as soon as the budget permits. :rolleyes:

Before closing my outboard wing panels a couple years ago I installed a TRU-Trak servo for wing leveling / GPS tracking. After talking with other RV guys they said such an option was great on long cross countries for getting a break for eating your lunch or as pointed out enjoying the view / scanning for traffic, etc. If ever caught IFR it also could be a "save your bacon" device to pull a 180 degree turn and get out of there. I personally like TRU-Trak's policy of letting you trade in your old box to upgrade to the next great thing that comes out. The ADI will mount right in the middle of my VFR panel where an artificial horizon is usually located.

Doug Lomheim
90116, Mazda 13B; FWF / wiring

Very useful

I flew my 7A daily without one for a few months, then got a used NAVAID right here from the classifieds for about $600.

Two hours of install and tweaking and then, man, how did I live without it!?

In terms of reducing pilot workload, it's money well spent.

"George" handles keeping the wings level and on course whenever I need to put my attention elsewhere for a few seconds. Plus, it automatically smooths out the ride on those gusty days. My main passenger even commented on it.

While it's not useful for buzzing around the pattern, etc, it's great for any kind of cross country trip.

In addition, it will help save your bacon should you get trapped in IFR. Simply engage it and use the "turn function" (not the stick) to make a smooth turn back to VFR.

Even my spam can 210B has a simple wing leveler, and I use it all the time.
Just MHO,

Since you asked...

My experience-

When I bought my completed and flying -6, I noticed it had a two-axis S-TEC 30 autopilot with altitude hold, heading select, and GPS coupling. My attitude at the time was, "yeah whatever, maybe I'll turn it on some day and see if it works."

Fast forward - it is hands down my favorite feature in the panel. I use it all the time, even for short hundred-dollar-hamburger flights. And for the two or three times a year I actually go somewhere, I wonder how anyone does without one.

Strongly recommend the two-axis (altitude hold.)

All about trade-offs

It all depends on the funding - everyone has a priority for where the money gets spent. Unfortunately, it usually isn't clear until you've flown your plane a while if you did it well!

Personally, I'd leave out a lot of panel stuff (including autopilot) to get a C/S prop, for example. Much easier to later upgrade the panel than to add C/S. Especially if the panel (and maybe autopilot servo mounts) is designed to add the stuff later.

Everyone will sort the list a little differently, but talk to a handful of RV'ers and you will probably get a reasonable idea. Might be a good thread - hmmm.

514S,

Since you are asking on the -9 forum, I will reply as a -9 owner/flier.

No, you don't need one in this plane.

In a -4, 6, 7, or 8, yes you will want one for long trips.

That said, if you are traveling a lot, the AP is just nice to have as it reduces work load.

With 101 hours on my -9, I don't feel I need one.

514S,

Since you are asking on the -9 forum, I will reply as a -9 owner/flier.

No, you don't need one in this plane.

In a -4, 6, 7, or 8, yes you will want one for long trips.

That said, if you are traveling a lot, the AP is just nice to have as it reduces work load.

With 101 hours on my -9, I don't feel I need one.

But my 39.9 cross country hours in a auto-piloted 9A, convinced me to get 2 axis for my 6A. And the builder of that 9A has already installed 2 axis in his new 9A too! :)

L.Adamson -- Trio wing leveler & Tru-Trak altitude

Last edited:
Back